An atmospheric scientist with nearly 20 years of experience, Seth focuses on the air quality, climate, and public health impacts of transportation. He works with various clients, including the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the Port of San Diego, the Federal Highway Administration, Puget Sound Clean Air Agency, the Southern California Association of Governments, and others.
Seth led the American Lung Association’s The Road to Clean Air electric vehicle report that demonstrates the potential for major public health and climate change benefits through a robust nationwide transition to electric vehicles. He sets regulatory standards for nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide air pollution and leads a national assessment on community exposure to exhaust from ports.
Seth oversees air quality and health impact evaluations for large infrastructure projects, including California’s high-speed rail and the modernization of San Diego’s transportation network. He also conducts international training and analyses on mobile source greenhouse gas emissions and supports the Department of Transport and planning organizations on the climate and air quality impacts of their transportation plans.
Seth holds a bachelor’s degree in Physics from North Carolina State University and a master’s in Atmospheric Sciences from the University of Washington, Seattle.
- Papson, A., Hartley, S., and Kuo, K. (2012). Analysis of emissions at congested and uncongested intersections with motor vehicle emission simulation, 2010. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 2270, pp. 124-131.
- Browning, L., Hartley, S., Bandemehr, A., and Gathright, K. (2012). Demonstration of fuel switching on oceangoing vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association. 62(9):1093–1101.
- Rosenbaum, A., Hartley, S., and Holder, C. (2011). Analysis of diesel particulate matter health risk disparities in selected U.S. harbor areas. American Journal of Public Health. 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300190.
- Russel, P.B., Redemann, J., Schmid, B., Bergstrom, R.W., Livingston, J.M., McIntosh, D.M., Ramirez, S.A., Hartley, S., Hobbs, P.V., Quinn, P.K., Carrico, C.M., Rood, M.J., Ostrom, E., Noone, K.M., Von Hoyningen-Huene, W., and Remer, L. (2002). Comparison of aerosol single scattering albedos derived by diverse techniques in two North Atlantic experiments. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences. 59, 609-619.
- Hartley, S., and Hobbs, J. (2001). An aerosol model and aerosol-induced change in the clear-sky albedo off the East Coast of the United States. Journal of Geophysical Research. 106, D9, pp.9733-48.
- Hartley, S., Hobbs, P., Ross, J., Russel, P., and Livingston, J. (2000). Properties of aerosols aloft relevant to direct radiative forcing off the mid-Atlantic coast of the United States.Journal of Geophysical Research. 105, D8, pp.9859-85.