Marko has spent nearly four decades as a government and business senior executive bridging the gap between the private sector and all levels of government. He supports federal, state, and local disaster planning, recovery, and resilience across the United States. Marko has led the homeland security and emergency management business units of major corporations and nonprofits. He was also a senior executive at the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), taking on various roles, including serving as FEMA’s director of policy and program analysis (the number three position at the agency).
Marko has led first-responder operations and state emergency management policy. He also served as founding director of the National Integration Center at FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security, and he developed the first national incident management system and the National Response Framework. Marko led the reorganization of FEMA following Hurricane Katrina and has been a senior federal career and appointed leader to more than 200 presidentially declared disasters.
During his career, Marko won two Communicator Awards and was twice a finalist for Telly Awards. He serves as an executive committee member on the Preparedness Leadership Council and on the Domestic Preparedness Journal Advisory Board. He is a member of the board of trustees for the Association of State Flood Plain Managers Foundation; a member of the Department of Homeland Security Creation Team and Transition Team; and was chair of the Public Safety Transition Team for Governor Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania.
Marko is a former police officer and firefighter.
B.A., George Mason University
M.A., University of New Haven
- Bourne, M. (2013). International Media Representatives Inc. (IMR Group Inc.). Community Resilience & Functional Needs. Domestic Preparedness.
- Bourne, M., and McKown, M.A. (2011). International Media Representatives Inc. (IMR Group Inc.). Incident Management Doctrine: Who Is In Charge?.
- Bourne, M. (2012). International Media Representatives Inc. (IMR Group Inc.). The Future of Data Clouds. Domestic Preparedness.
- Bourne, M. (2013). International Media Representatives Inc. (IMR Group Inc.). The Local Imperative for Building and Sustaining National Resilience. Domestic Preparedness.
- Bourne, M. (2014). International Media Representatives Inc. (IMR Group Inc.). True Resilience in Practice. Domestic Preparedness.