Resilience is the ability to prevent, prepare for, recover from, and adapt to adverse events, and the need for it has never been clearer. Consequences of disruptive events are now amplified by forces that cut across sectors and borders, including population growth, urban density, technological interdependence, aging infrastructure, and changing climate. They all potentially add to human suffering, economic dislocation, and unplanned, long-term costs.
Government, industry, and community leaders around the globe are grappling with a more daunting set of potentially disruptive challenges than ever before. To reach a higher level of resilience, these leaders must have the foresight to work together to define threats, assess risks, establish priorities, and prepare ahead in a continuous cycle of ongoing risk management.
ICF is built around the markets that drive resilience, so we can reach across our deep bench of specialists to bring together the knowledge and skills that match each project’s unique requirements. We tackle resilience challenges that range from new stressors at an electric distribution facility to strengthened cybersecurity at a hospital to rebuilding after disaster strikes. Getting a head start in the fight against threats of terrorism, severe weather, pandemic diseases, and large-scale technological failure requires integration of specific expertise and agile solutions. We offer a portfolio that balances the demands of diverse stakeholders and addresses the highly interrelated nature of resilience in today’s world.
Border & Transportation Security
During the past 20 years, ICF has applied its depth of knowledge and experience in border and transportation security to:
- Assist U.S. government agencies navigate the complex challenges associated with evolving security threats. We've worked with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) since its inception, providing extensive advisory services for its passenger, baggage, and cargo screening initiative. TSA depends on ICF to assess needs, manage requirements, analyze alternatives, and oversee development and deployment.
- Provide security systems, policies, and procedures that improve operations and safeguard American citizens, visitors, and U.S. national interests
- Help clients evaluate U.S. immigration and transportation security practices to identify problems, areas needing improvement, and resource gaps
- Support U.S. government agencies in performing risk management evaluations, security audits, and safety architecture assessments, and in devising evidence-based security solutions for ingress and egress to major ports and harbors
ICF guides U.S. agencies in reviewing policies and programs—such as employee credentialing and continuity of business operations plans—to better prevent and respond to threats. We also support regulation development and program audits to assure security compliance.
For immigration, ICF helped U.S. officials identify problem areas and mitigate risks. Our technology solutions provide immediate access to data that supports inquiries into marriage, employment, visa, and other forms of fraud.
ICF has the ability to sift through and adequately assess large quantities of information, as well as track trends from numerous sources—key steps in preventing security breaches and rapidly responding when such breaches occur. Our analytical support helps decision-makers determine how and where to coordinate resources to prevent illegal and potentially dangerous activities.
ICF has a robust emergency management consulting practice serving government, nonprofit, private sector, and community leaders in the design, implementation, and evaluation of disaster preparedness and response policies, programs, and systems. We have been a thought leader in the effort to strengthen our national preparedness by building more resilient communities through planning, training, and exercise programs. For more than 25 years, ICF has helped clients develop comprehensive emergency management programs that incorporate:
- Real-world incident experience across the full range of natural hazards and security risks
- Deep understanding of multi-agency coordination at all levels of government, nonprofit agencies, and the private sector
- Efficient, disciplined program management to identify and implement life-saving consequence management practices
- Training and exercise regimens that seamlessly integrate learning with evaluation of capabilities Corrective action plans that provide direction for continuous improvement in emergency management operations
ICF works with clients across the entire emergency management program—from risk assessment to development, training, socialization, and evaluation of resulting emergency management plans. We have developed and supported training and exercises that span the entire spectrum of security and emergency management, including hurricanes, earthquakes, pandemic influenza, counterterrorism, response to weapons of mass destruction attacks, and natural disasters such as hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Our subject matter experts possess real-world experience in disaster response and recovery; law enforcement; emergency medical, public health, and behavioral counseling; and crisis communications. ICF complements this experience with expertise in program and risk management, research and analysis, and organizational development.
ICF works alongside government, industry, and community leaders to manage risk and promote enterprise resilience. We help them strike a reasonable balance between costs and benefits by prioritizing risks and focusing resources on the biggest threats, including industrial accidents, natural disasters, terrorism, and cyber terrorism.
ICF helps develop risk management plans that account for the full spectrum of possible impacts in areas including energy, water supply, environment, defense, public health, education, shipping, transportation, and community preparedness.
Step by step, we help clients examine the big picture and:
- Evaluate the full range of risks, their probability, and potential impact
- Provide executive decision support to determine which investments may best minimize loss, accelerate recovery, and even improve operations
- Develop and help implement risk mitigation strategies tailored to meet individual requirements and optimize the use of limited resources
We also assist in creating continuity of government and continuity of operations plans that ensure government and mission-essential functions continue following a disaster.
Societal & Community Resilience
ICF develops and aids in implementing coordinated strategies to help individuals, families, communities, companies, and governmental jurisdictions reach a common understanding of risk and collaboratively improve resilience. Our success in building societal and community resilience lies in our ability to marry extensive homeland security expertise with experience in strategic communications and community engagement to effect behavior change among stakeholders.
ICF offers complete planning, response, and resilience assistance in many areas, including public health, continuity of operations, all-hazards readiness, mass sheltering. radiation and toxic substances, vaccinations, and engaging underserved communities
Our services include:
- Risk assessments, needs evaluations, and decision-making support
- Planning, education, outreach, and training across all stakeholders
- Resilience program management, evaluation, and continuous improvement
ICF continually tests and refines client programs by developing scenarios, leading exercises, and evaluating performance throughout the preparedness cycle. Most important, we give clients the tools and skills that enable continued success long after we complete the initial implementation.
Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience
Improving the security and resilience of public and private sector infrastructure requires proactive planning across all levels of government and implementation through strong public-private partnerships. With an integrated team of industry specialists, risk management professionals, planners, former government officials, and specific hazards specialists, ICF is exceptionally positioned to help stakeholders manage risks and promote resilience.
ICF supports infrastructure security and resilience initiatives with:
- Federal policy and program development and implementation
- Vulnerability and risk assessments to understand risks, identify priorities, and help inform selection of appropriate mitigation strategies
- Program management and performance measurement
- Strategic communications and outreach
- Climate impact assessments
- Capital investment planning to focus resource allocation
- Training exercises to build strong networks and validate plans
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) compliance services
- Detailed regulatory analysis
ICF draws on deep knowledge of the most important homeland security efforts in the United States and internationally to guide clients through a comprehensive decision-making process to identify infrastructure risks and determine the most effective mitigation strategies.
We tailor our analysis and support to each client’s needs while sharing information among public and private sector partners. In addition, ICF helps clients comply with regulatory mandates while reviewing their options for voluntary measures.