Samir develops innovative approaches to distribution system planning, grid modernization strategy, and distributed energy resource (DER) integration. He focuses on the impact of DER and the implications for utility business models and system planning processes. Samir’s work also includes distribution system operations and DER aggregation, optimization, and coordination. He leads energy infrastructure resilience and integrated distribution planning efforts, including DER forecasting, locational value assessment, and hosting capacity analysis. Additional focus areas include the alignment of distribution system planning, transmission planning, and integrated resource planning processes to reflect DER impacts and contributions to system needs. Samir has extensive experience in wholesale power markets modeling, power market supply-demand fundamentals, forward price curve assessments, and generation asset valuations.
Samir’s prior work includes wholesale market design, energy storage optimization, and gas-electric integration. His research has touched on macroeconomic modeling of carbon abatement policies to facilitate renewable integration and accelerate deployment of low carbon generation. He has also examined integration issues associated with utility-scale renewable energy and enabling technologies for variable energy resources. This work centers on implementing energy storage as a strategy for enhancing transmission infrastructure utilization and mitigating the variability of renewable energy with particular attention to large-scale energy storage systems.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Princeton University
B.A., Physics, Oberlin College
- Opportunities to Improve Analytical Capabilities towards Comprehensive Electricity System Planning – Published February 2021
- Development of a Transmission-distribution interoperability framework. Report for IESO – Published May 2020
- Integrated Distribution Planning: Utility Practices in Hosting Capacity Analysis and Locational Value Assessment – Department of Energy Office of Electricity – Published July 2018
- Optimization of specific rating for wind turbine arrays coupled to compressed air energy storage, Applied Energy – Published 2012
- Renewable integration through direct load control and demand response – Smart Grid Integrating Renewable – Distributed and Efficient Energy – Published 2011
- Compressed Air Energy Storage: Theory, Resources, And Applications For Wind Power – Published 2008
- Baseload wind energy: modeling the competition between gas turbines and compressed air energy storage for supplemental generation, Energy Policy 2007 – Published 2007