Global Health Publications Manager- Rockville, MD
Lead Publications Editor
ICF seeks a Global Health Publications Manager to work in our International Health and Development Line of Business, based in Rockville, MD. The division’s Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS) Program assists countries worldwide in the collection, processing, and analysis of survey data used to monitor and evaluate population, health, and nutrition programs. Data from the DHS surveys is used by national governments and international organizations for planning, policymaking and program management purposes, as well as researchers worldwide. ICF has been DHS’ preferred partner for data collection and dissemination for over 20 years, and work is performed on a contractual basis for USAID.
As the Global Health Publications Manager, you would lead the publication process for data-centric health surveys which document global trends and improvements in global public health. The information in DHS publications often informs critical public health policies for vulnerable communities, so our Global Health Publications Manager has a highly visible role in this field. This is an opportunity for a public health expert with a strong background in technical writing and editing to help advance our current understanding of health and population trends.
- Serve as editor-in-chief for The DHS Program’s publications
- In collaboration with senior staff, develop and implement policies and strategies to guide and manage the brand, style and production of the project’s print publications.
- Supervise and mentor Design & Publications specialists.
- With the support of the Design and Publications Specialists, manage production and editing of up to 60-80 publications annually including DHS’s final reports and analytical reports. The successful candidate will:
- Develop editorial calendars and conduct planning meetings.
- Establish and manage deadlines.
- Edit and write technical copy.
- Assign formatting, editing, and design work as needed.
- Oversee print production including print contracts and budgets.
- Update and maintain project Style Guide and style sheets for individual publications based on Chicago Manual (17th edition)
- Coordinate DHS’s consulting editors and publications specialists including management of subcontracts, scopes of work, and day-to-day assignments
- Provide editing support for other products including web content, eLearning course materials, and other project deliverables
- Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Global Health, or Demography, or related field, or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 8 years related experience in technical editing required; experience editing in public health, statistical, or other technical or health care fields.
- Demonstrated experience managing staff, contractors, and vendors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent editor, well-versed in Chicago style.
- Ability to work as a collaborative team member and to work independently to produce quality materials within tight timeframes.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, with colleagues from different backgrounds and cultures, and with content written by non-native English speakers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required; a plus; experience working in PC environment required.
- Experience managing the print production process (i.e. file setup, project bidding) required.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite software (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) and/or SharePoint
- Experience working for a US Government and/or USAID-contract preferred.
- Foreign language: Ability to read, write, and speak in French, Spanish, Portuguese, or Arabic
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)