Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
SQL Database Administrator
ICF’s IT Modernization division is a rapidly growing, entrepreneurial, technology driven department, seeking a motivated SQL DBA to support current & upcoming needs.
The Database Support Branch (DSB) operates as a Database Center of Excellence (DCoE) and provides enterprise database administration support for multiple Census organizations. The DSB functions as a service-provider offering Database as a Service (DaaS) functionality. In order to provide DaaS, the DCoE maintains two primary platform types: Oracle and SQL Server. Each platform type is backed by a team of Data Base Administrators (DBAs) who are available in 3-tiers of support levels.
Total customer satisfaction is a primary goal of the DCoE and multiple automated monitoring tools are used to ensure maximum database performance and availability in all environments. As a member of this team, you will provide customer support, including technical assistance for Project O&M, builds and deployments. Other services include upgrades, patching, migration, installation, configuration, proactive monitoring, security, tuning, backup, recovery and troubleshooting.
- Work with clients, peers and management in a highly visible, mission critical environment
- End-to-end knowledge of MS SQL server database technologies including MS SQL Clusters and AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances (FCI)
- Experience with deploying and maintaining Enterprise Level SQL Server Farms and AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances (FCI)
- Evaluate, implement and maintain Microsoft technology, security updates, hot fixes, upgrades and version releases to ensure architecture stability
- Configure and manage Microsoft's Windows Server 2008/2012, Windows Clustering on a spanned VLAN, and SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016, demonstrating how these technologies may be leveraged to impact the architecture's overall design, security, availability and stability
- Solution development and integration of value-add applications to meet new requirements.
- Provide troubleshooting of database instances and OS level support in a consolidated SQL Server environment leveraging a wide-array of configurations, including local and multi-site failover clustering
- Demonstrate ability to analyze resource bottlenecks and provide suggestions to team, management, and internal customers on how to alleviate pressure and plan for capacity
- Provide recommendations and strategies to application owners on how to improve performance and scalability of their database components
- Install, upgrade and administer SQL Server database engine, Integration Services (SSIS), Reporting Services (SSRS), and Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Provide architectural guidance on strategies to improve operations and monitoring of current and future implementations.
- Ability to implement physical designs from logical designs
- Prepare technical documentation
- Four years of experience (with a graduate/postgraduate degree) or six years of experience (with an undergraduate degree) in the field of IT of which at least
- Two years must be hands-on development and at least two years must be senior technical staff member (such as architect or principal/senior engineer).
- Requires a thorough, all-levels knowledge of complex, multi-modular IT systems design, development and integration via various methodologies and technical approaches. Expertise in IT best practices and technology trends.
- Compliance and Vulnerability Scan remediation experience
- The ability to conduct Root Cause Analysis (RAC) to troubleshoot MS SQL server and database issues
- Candidate must have experience supporting an environment with 50 to 100+ combination of virtual and physical SQL servers.
- Extensive experience in Windows Server 2008/2012
- Extensive administrative experience in SQL Server 2008 R2/2012/2014/2016
- Experience implementing and managing Windows clustering and AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances (FCI)
- Experience implementing and managing SQL Server high-availability technologies (replication, mirroring, failover clusters, etc.)
- Experience working with VMWare
- SQL Server Integration Services package development (SSIS)
- SQL Server Reporting Services report development (SSRS)
- Experience working with IBM and Cisco hardware
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as responsibilities include direct client interfacing and the development of documentation
- US Citizenship required (required by federal government for this position).
- Must be able to obtain Public Trust clearance.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)