Field Scientist-Air Sampling Specialist
Interested in making a difference to the planet? Want to work with a team of Environmental Chemists who care about the protection of human health and the environment? Are you seeking broad exposure to environmental remediation and Superfund related cleanup processes with interaction with EPA on a regional level? Enjoy travelling for your work?
ICF is seeking motivated Field Scientist-Air Sampling Specialist to join our team of environmental professionals (including Environmental Scientists, Chemists, Biologists, Geologists, etc.) to support an EPA contract, the Environmental Services Assistance Team (ESAT), across the country. The team performs soil, water, air, waste and tissue sample analysis for chemical contaminants primarily supporting Superfund site assessment, remediation, and emergency response but also for compliance under the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act. The team supports EPA’s ambient air monitoring programs through sampling air for Pb and particulates and auditing ambient air analyzers for ozone, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrous oxide under the Clean Air Act. This position will be located in client lab in Ft. Meade, Maryland.
The Field Scientist will conduct audits of state and local ambient air monitoring stations responsible for measurement of air pollution parameters including particulate matter (PM2.5), ozone, sulfur dioxide (SO2), Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and other related pollutants.
- Travel, including overnight travel, within EPA Region 3 (MD, DC, DE, VA, WV, and PA) is required. Travel requires extensive driving with provided vehicle. Travel is expected to be required as much as 50% of the time.
- Collect particulate matter filter samples and ship to laboratories for PM2.5 and Lead analysis
- Utilize instrumentation to provide on-site analysis of air parameters including ozone, NO2, SO2, and other related pollutants
- Maintain, repair, and operate air sampling and analysis equipment.
- Coordinate with state and local air monitoring operators to schedule side-by-side testing to audit their operations
- Conduct sampling and analysis in strict accordance with required protocols
- Prepare written reports using MS Word
- Utilize MS Excel to present and analyze air data
- Bachelor's degree in scientific discipline, or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in performing PM2.5 and through the probe pollutant measurements
- Current or previous PM2.5 and/or TTP sampling certifications
- Have good driving record, valid driver’s license, and able to drive distances within Region 3
- Able to lift and carry 40 pounds, use ladders and work comfortably at heights
- Able to pass annual field Health and Safety training and Medical Monitoring
- The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain authorization for access to Fort Meade and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Environmental Science Center.
- US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status (required by federal government for position)
- 40 hour HAZWOPER training and other related safety training
- Air sampling, auditing or knowledge of EPA PEP, Pb-PEP, and NPAP/TTP programs
- Mechanical capabilities to operate and care for analytical instrumentation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and able to meet deadlines
- Experience working at DoD, EPA or other Federal facilities
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)