Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Business Operations Assistant
Health, Environment, Analytics, Resilience, & Social Group
Health Sciences and Human Services Division
Child Welfare and Education (CWE)
Location: Fairfax, VA
ICF is seeking an Business Operations Assistant to be responsible for the administrative and internal operations for the Child Welfare Information Gateway and the Child Welfare Capacity Building Center for States projects. On behalf of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, these projects provide child welfare-related information, tools, and training and technical assistance to child welfare, adoption, and related professionals as well as the public.
Primary responsibilities include assistance with monthly reporting, document and process management, project and team-wide communication, on-site and virtual meeting management, and other administrative tasks as assigned. The ability to multi-task, maintain complex schedules, and manage a variety of administrative tasks simultaneously is essential in the position.
The ideal Business Operations Assistant is resourceful, accountable, a good problem solver and organized. The incumbent will be given a wide degree of independence and latitude to use experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, along with the ability to organize a diversity of work using tools, like MS Office and SharePoint. Familiarity with collaboration and management tools such as Microsoft Teams or Slack is preferred.
Child Welfare or human service experience is welcome but not required.
- Compile and manage data and prepare ongoing, periodic, or special reports and presentations
- Administer knowledge management tools to collect and share information for and from staff
- Prepare meeting agendas, schedule meetings, and take minutes
- Develop and maintain electronic and manual document filing systems
- Develop and update administrative systems
- Maintain staff lists, organizational charts, office and project policies and procedures
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Assist with event planning and execution
- Carry out administrative duties such as typing, copying, binding, scanning, occasional filing, etc.
Challenges of the Position:
- Managing multiple, time-sensitive assignments from various managers
- Proactive thinking to solve problems, update documentation, and manage and streamline recurring tasks
- Working independently and with some number of remote teammates
Receives supervision from the Executive Director, Child Welfare Information Gateway.
- Two (2) year degree or equivalent work experience in a professional environment
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in an office environment
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular)
- Familiarity with collaboration tools (ex. Slack, Microsoft Teams, MS Project)
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Must be a self-starter that proactively seeks solutions to ambiguous tasks.
- Demonstrates a cooperative team approach with respect for others. Works effectively with other groups and departments.
- Assesses and prioritizes work requirements; develops and executes plans in a timely manner and accepts advice and/or direction well.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a consulting culture with client-facing experience
- Experience working with Federal government projects
- Ability to analyze and revise operating practices to improve efficiency
- Graphic Design experience
- Interest in Human Services or Child Welfare
- Ability to approach both internal and external tasks with a customer service focus
- Proactive, self-sufficient and productive thinker
- Ability to be flexible; to prioritize and manage multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
Type and Amount of Client Contact:
- Recurring interface (phone, email) with lead client and others within the client’s organization: Children’s Bureau, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Most contact focuses on scheduling meetings and submitting reports.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)