Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
San Diego, Los Angeles, CA or Fairfax, VA
ICF is in the business of Making Big Things Possible and we’re looking for a capture manager to help grow our business. We provide professional services and technical solutions that maximize impacts for people, businesses, and government in areas critical to the world's future. Position can be based in San Diego, Los Angeles, CA or Fairfax, VA.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced capture manager who is genuinely passionate about strategy and positioning us to win. We are looking for someone who will add to our team dynamic, lead capture planning, develop compelling proposals, and coach winning orals/interviews. The ideal candidate will have strong communication and facilitation skills, proficiency in writing and editing, excellent attention to detail, organizational and planning skills, and the ability to take direction and identify priorities and multi-task, all while demonstrating a professional demeanor, flexible attitude, and an enthusiasm for producing highly strategic and thoughtful work. Duties include:
- Lead internal capture planning including all pre-marketing activities and intelligence gathering; identifying stakeholders; performing a competitor analysis; conducting client and market research; and identifying primes and sub consultants for teaming arrangements.
- As an internal resource, work with the technical lead to develop/maintain relationships with the client, stakeholders, competitors, teaming partners, and sub consultants.
- Participate in solution development for management, technical, and cost sections. This includes identifying client requirements and discriminators, identifying our strengths and weaknesses, developing solutions to meet their needs and provide benefits, and determining how we add value.
- Analyze gaps in capture pursuits that need to be filled so ICF is in a position to win, and identify the work needed to fill the gaps.
Capture During the Proposal Stage
- Organize and lead kickoff meetings; develop proposal plan, compliance matrix, and schedule. The capture manager will monitor progress and ensure that all deadlines are met.
- Lead blue teams, solutioning, and storyboard development and offer advice to help identify and articulate key messages, discriminators, benefits, and proof statements.
- Establish and delegate writing assignments. The capture manager will write original text for the cover letter, executive summary, corporate and team qualifications, introductions to technical sections, and other sections as appropriate. Ensure that all written materials reflect the key messages identified during storyboard development and that it is written in a persuasive style.
- Working with a graphic designer, help lead conceptualization of proposal graphics. Translate facts and features of subject material into graphic terms that best convey intended meaning.
- Coordinate Requests for Information with teaming partners/sub consultants and Good Faith Efforts or Diversity Goal Plans.
- Manage storyboarding, blue, red, and gold team reviews; manage recovery of proposal after reviews. Ensure final compliance, messaging, and continuity between technical, management, and cost volumes or sections. Proof and edit all text. Perform QA/QC. Ensure that all outgoing proposals are compliant with RFP requirements and ICF’s internal requirements, responsive, compelling, and top-quality.
- Lead orals/interview preparation meetings including helping to identify a presentation approach and ensuring discriminators are articulated; manage production of necessary props (PowerPoint slides, leave-behinds, boards, etc.). Facilitate orals rehearsals and coach speakers. Manage collection of questions for use during Q&A sessions in orals and ensure adequate time is spent developing responses to questions.
- Experience in the energy efficiency business.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or Marketing
- Five to seven years of applicable experience, including an understanding of the proposal response process, such as training by Shipley, is desirable.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project, Outlook), advanced skills in all Adobe Creative Suite applications (PC platform) and SharePoint (most recent versions) required.
ICF offers an excellent benefits package, an award winning talent development program, and fosters a highly skilled, energized and empowered workforce.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)