Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is looking for a seasoned Cartographer who enjoys working directly with clients to design and carry out cartographic projects, start to finish, in a dynamic and fast paced environment. You will have the opportunity to be immersed in a variety of projects, consulting with project managers and producing high quality maps, charts, and graphics for inclusion in products. In this role we look to you to apply your skills and expertise to provide objective, comprehensive and relevant information on the extent and use of our Nation’s transportation system, how well the system performs, and the effects of the system on society and the environment.
In joining ICF are part of a group of experienced professionals with the skills required to unlock the power of governed data discovery. Our staff provides deep technical and business support for data acquisition, data analysis/data science, and interactive data visualizations.
- Master’s/Bachelor's degree in a pertinent field (e.g., Geographic Information Systems, Cartography, Geography, Computer Science or related discipline)
- 5+ years of cartographic production experience and be fully capable of working on the most technically challenging work
- Comprehensive experience and knowledge of cartographic theories, concepts, principles, practices and equipment, including those used in photogrammetry, remote sensing, photointerpretation, digital analysis or other techniques, sufficient to evaluate source material, research, analyze, select, and prepare cartographic materials.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of and ability to read and interpret maps and
charts of different scales and projections; thorough knowledge of taxonomic and
bibliographic skills; demonstrated ability to present and illustrate geographic information
in written and graphic form; thorough knowledge and the ability to integrate geographic
information for presentation from an area or regional viewpoint; or from the viewpoint of
an area of geographic emphasis;
- Full functional working knowledge of current computer hardware and software
used in the development of digital cartographic products including ESRI and Adobe
- Demonstrated a proven proficiency in research, data compilation, map layout and
design, and general cartographic problem solving.
- Capable of assisting project managers with production decisions
- Demonstrated the ability to produce high quality maps, charts, and graphics
including reference and thematic maps, static and dynamic maps, and rendered in 2D
or 3D. Thematic maps may include choropleth, proportional symbol, isarithmic or
isopleth, dot, cartograms, hex, and dasymetric type maps.
- Demonstrated experience and mastery of ArcGIS and Adobe Design suite
- Demonstrated experience verifying that appropriate data are correctly applied and
portrayed in maps, and that final products are complete and accurate.
- Demonstrated experience creating, reviewing, evaluating, and editing for
completeness, accuracy, and validity a variety of geographic materials including
geospatial data and its attributes, maps, and database tables.
- Perform GIS analysis to develop client focused outputs, maps, and dashboards that integrate large quantities of complex data and provide context and insights relevant to mission objectives.
- Producing high quality maps, charts, and graphics for inclusion in client products. Maps
will include both reference and thematic maps and may be static or dynamic and rendered in 2D or 3D. Thematic maps may include choropleth, proportional symbol, isarithmic or isopleth, dot, cartograms, hex, and dasymetric type maps.
- Using software such as ArcGIS, Adobe Design suite and MAPublisher to make maps and charts that depict transportation statistics and make them more accessible and useful to a large group of potential users.
- Conducting critical review of numerous new and revised charts, maps, and related
products. Verifying that appropriate data are correctly applied and portrayed, and that
- final products are complete and accurate.
- Creating, reviewing, evaluating, and editing for completeness, accuracy, and validity a
variety of geographic materials including geospatial data and its attributes, maps, and
- Using the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) guidelines to create, edit,
and review geospatial metadata files to ensure completeness and accuracy of the
- Working with managers and with other GIS professionals to identify
and develop unique ways to depict transportation statistics on maps and charts.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity)
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)