Environmental Impact of Transportation Projects
To help clients more effectively incorporate environmental considerations into transportation decisions, ICF supports them with:
- Assistance preparing environmental impact statements and assessments
- Help collaborating and communicating effectively on environmental issues
- Training on topics such as federal and state regulatory processes, air quality and noise analyses, and habitat and mitigation planning
ICF's planners, scientists, engineers, and policy experts provide guidance for all transportation modes—roadways, bridges, light rail, airports, and more.
ICF works extensively with transportation clients at federal, state, and local levels. We know the regulations and have developed leading research and tools to advance solutions in the areas of effective transportation planning and mitigation.
To assist clients in navigating emerging environmental issues and evolving standards, we deliver in-house expertise in the full spectrum of areas, including:
- Air quality and greenhouse gases (GHG)
- Habitat and ecosystems
- Community impacts
With our extensive track record, we are able to respond effectively to the range of environmental challenges and assist clients with the spectrum of transportation decisions.
Climate Change and Sustainability
ICF helps transportation agencies and private-sector companies embrace sustainability as a response to the threat of climate change and as a framework for environmentally, socially, and economically sound decisions.
ICF understands the impact of climate-related legislation on new port, highway, or transit projects and how to accommodate for climate considerations in infrastructure protection and sustainability strategies. We guide clients to cost-effective ways to reduce emissions, respond to new energy policy and customer concerns, and increase resilience in anticipation of climate and extreme weather changes.
ICF offers decades of leadership in generating solutions to climate challenges. Our experience helping clients connect climate-friendly transportation practices to the bigger picture includes:
- Helping clients develop carbon footprints and emissions reduction strategies
- Assessing climate vulnerability and risk
- Assisting with sustainable transit strategies
- Using geographic information systems (GIS) to map climate risk and resilience scenarios
- Applying knowledge of advanced transportation technologies and fuels to develop cost-effective approaches to emissions reduction
Clients benefit from ICF's integrated approach to sustainability and comprehensive support. Our multidisciplinary teams help transportation clients conduct early technical research, recruit partners, reach out to stakeholders, and manage operations.
Livability and Land Use
ICF helps cities, counties, and regional planning agencies incorporate land use, livability, and the key pillars of sustainability—the environment, the economy, and social equity—into transportation planning.
For organizations integrating land use, livability, and sustainability into transportation planning, ICF delivers comprehensive expertise in areas such as:
- Analysis—pollution, health, and infrastructure impacts; emissions analysis; air quality modeling; and climate mitigation studies
- Modeling—transportation and land use patterns, economic modeling, and benefit-cost analysis
- Environmental support—permitting, compliance strategies, and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documentation support
- Guidance documents and tools—collaborative decision-making, context-sensitive solutions, and the congestion management process
- Educational services—webinars, presentations, peer exchanges, and workshops
- Outreach—engaging multiple parties in collaborative decision-making and providing meaningful opportunities for public involvement
Because of our extensive work on transportation projects at the federal, state, and local levels, we have a comprehensive grasp of the planning and policy issues at the nexus of transportation, the environment, the economy, and livable communities. This knowledge strengthens our ability to deliver value to client engagements, whether promoting sustainable land use development patterns, helping organizations evaluate transportation options, or guiding them toward organization-wide sustainability measures.