Impacts, Risk, & Adaptation
ICF helps decision makers understand the risks posed by climate change and develop adaptation solutions.
ICF works with public- and private-sector clients around the globe to evaluate climate change risks, develop adaptation strategies, promote climate-resilient decision making, and build capacity to manage climate risks. We leverage our experience and knowledge gained from years of pioneering work to apply state-of-the-art adaptation practices locally and worldwide.
Our clients include multinational companies and organizations, federal agencies, state and local agencies, metropolitan planning organizations, and international funding institutions. ICF applies deep sectoral and broad geographic experience to today's complex adaptation challenges, with our multidisciplinary teams bringing extensive knowledge of environmental, energy, transportation, human health, and other sectors to this cross-cutting issue.
Our adaptation services include:
- Evaluating climate impacts on ecosystems, economic systems, health, energy, transportation, and other infrastructure
- Developing decision-support frameworks for addressing climate risks
- Assessing climate risks and opportunities
- Evaluating and recommending adaptation options
- Assessing the adaptation/disaster nexus
- Enhancing asset management and financial tracking systems to capture costs of extreme weather/climate risks
- Building the business case for mainstreaming climate risk management into existing activities
- Engaging stakeholders through pilot programs, workshops, and outreach
Our decades of experience in climate impacts and adaptation are marked by a series of firsts:
- ICF developed the first U.S. federal agency adaptation framework—for the Federal Highway Administration—and provided technical assistance to the first transportation adaptation pilots as they implemented the framework.
- ICF supported the World Bank in the development of a national-level and several sectoral tools to rapidly screen for risks in all Bank investments. These tools are supporting the largest climate risk screening effort ever undertaken, as measured by the value of the investments that are being screened.
- ICF performed the first multimodal vulnerability assessment of climate risks to transportation assets and services on behalf of the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT). The pilot study is being conducted in Mobile, Alabama, and is expressly designed to enable transferability of tools and approaches across the United States.
- ICF helped the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) launch its first adaptation program, Climate Ready Estuaries.
- ICF developed the first climate risk screening tool for park infrastructure for the National Park Service (NPS).
ICF supports the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Climate Change Office in providing technical assistance and analysis for agency bureaus, field missions, and partner practitioners to implement climate change adaptation programs globally. We have supported five Canadian agencies, the European Commission (EC), and other national-level clients outside the United States. We have led innovative adaptation projects spanning every major sector in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean for development organizations such as the Canadian International Development Agency, World Bank Group, and Asian Development Bank (ADB).