Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Vegetation/Wetland Technician Mountain West
Gillette, Laramie, Cheyenne, Buffalo, Casper WY
Fort Collins , CO
One of ICF’s many offices around the world is Gillette - located in the heart of Wyoming’s energy producing Powder River Basin. The Gillette office is a small, biology-driven office composed of primarily wildlife biologists. The majority of their work is centered around the mining, oil and gas, and wind energy industries in the Rocky Mountain Region. Gillette is an industrial town of approximately 35,000 people, and within driving distance of the famous Black Hills region, Devil’s Tower, and Big Horn Mountains. Nearest cities include Rapid City, SD, Billings, MT, and Casper, WY.
As a Vegetation/Wetland Technician, you will be responsible for floristic surveys, vegetation community mapping, rare plant surveys, wetland delineations, and data entry. The field work will require long and often irregular hours (potentially early mornings, and some weekends). Field work is often performed on foot in rugged terrain and the ability to hike long distances is required. Field work will be conducted in remote areas with the potential for over-night/extended travel. Technicians must be able to confidently identify western flora plant species including grasses, grass-likes, shrubs, forbs, trees, and wetland plant species. Technicians must have excellent navigational skills with GPS as well as maps and compass, and be able to operate four-wheel drive trucks, and/or UTVs. Technicians will be required to work independently in the field, so dedication, resourcefulness, and accountability are essential skills for the position. However, while field work will be conducted independently, all work will be carried out as part of larger team effort and excellent communication skills and an ability to cooperate in a team are equally important qualities.
About On-Call Employment with ICF
Given the seasonal or project-specific nature of our environmental work, ICF often hires environmental professionals as “On-Call” employees. On-call employees are scheduled for work hours as they become available and suitable weather conditions permit (work is usually scheduled a few weeks ahead of time), and each on-call employee is free to accept or refuse the hours assigned to them in a given week. On-call employees may work concurrent projects outside of their ICF assignment (along as their outside work does not create a conflict of interest with the work they do for ICF). Expected field work responsibilities to include 40-50+ hours per week from mid-May through late June. Work would be based out of the Gillette office but could require travel throughout northeast and central Wyoming.
- Floristic surveys, vegetation plant community mapping, and wetland delineation.
- Soil profile descriptions related to wetland delineations.
- Record keeping, longhand field notes, and data entry.
- Work in a manner that promotes safety for yourself and others around you.
- B.S. degree in range management, plant sciences, biology or closely related field.
- Must be proficient in navigation using iPads, maps, and GPS.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to operate four-wheel drive trucks and trailers and pass a Motor Vehicle Records (MVR) check.
- Must be able to work independently in the field for extended periods of time, often times with limited mobile phone reception.
- Have solid vegetation identification skills and proficiency with botanical keying.
- Ability to hike long distances, withstand cold/hot and windy conditions for long periods, and be able to lift heavy items (more than 30 lbs.) if needed for field safety.
- Strong knowledge of short-grass prairie/shrub-steppe vegetation preferred.
- Previous consulting experience or biological resources management.
- Experience in or knowledge of energy development industry.
- Previous experience conducting rare plant species surveys (threatened and endangered, proposed, candidate, and sensitive)
- Wetland delineation course/training
- Previous experience operating Utility Terrain Vehicles (UTV)
- MSHA certified
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible regarding the work schedule in a fast-paced environment
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Excellent problem solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to follow established field and data management protocols
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Esri ArcCollector programs
In accordance with the EPEWA, based on the qualifications and experience required, the pay range for this position is $20 to $23 per hour. You will be covered by government mandated benefits including workers' compensation insurance, federal government contractor’s sick leave and you will be eligible to make 401(k) contributions to an ICF sponsored retirement plan.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Gillette, WY (WY01)