Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Utility Regulatory Strategy Vice President
PRACTICE LEAD, UTILITY REGULATORY STRATEGY
ICF is seeking a Vice President to build, lead, and grow an energy (electric, natural gas) utility regulatory strategy consulting practice. ICF has over 50 years of experience advising utilities on a variety of issues, including integrated resource planning, power and gas market analysis, distributed energy resources, utility customer programs, environmental strategies, and a host of other issues. We employ over 1100 energy professionals worldwide and have worked with every major investor owned utility in North America, and many overseas, as well as municipal and coop utilities.
As we continue to grow our services to this critical sector, we seek a practice lead to leverage our existing capabilities to build out and lead a Utility Regulatory Strategy practice. This practice will be part of and report to our Energy Advisory Services Lead. The practice will focus on advising senior utility executives on regulatory and business strategy issues, such as regulatory strategy, cost of service, cost allocation, and rates, and how these inform and drive corporate strategy.
What you will do.
As the Regulatory Strategy Practice Lead you will be the focal point for drawing together component skills and associations already resident in the firm and identifying and recruiting additional talent to build and lead a successful regulatory practice. More specifically, you will
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction in the regulatory strategy area to build a successful service offering to our existing and new electric and natural gas utility clients. Build awareness of ICF’s capabilities via targeted marketing and outreach strategies.
- Collaborate with our larger energy advisory business resulting in effective implementation of regulatory related engagements and achievement of quality, profit, growth, and other objectives.
- Lead efforts to establish and grow our regulatory support business with existing and new clients through the development of a practice business plan.
- Lead and support enterprise level initiatives focused on driving a culture of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Provide high levels of strategic and business vision, as well as tactical ability to ensure that business objectives are clearly defined and communicated and that internal operations are productive, effective, and measurable. Ensure the team is agile and adaptive to changing market conditions.
- Identify and recruit additional talent with the requisite skills in regulatory analysis, rates, utility accounting, etc. as the business supports expansion. Support organizational capability by developing team members, identify emerging leaders, invest in new talent, and ensure high levels of employee engagement.
- Act as executive level contact with clients to understand how ICF’s offerings align with their business objectives. Serve as a senior advisor to utility executives on regulatory related issues.
- Provide expert testimony for select engagements.
- Play an active leadership role within the energy advisory organization. Be present in the market and an effective spokesperson for our firm. Use your knowledge of the industry to position ICF’s capabilities and services in a meaningful and strategic way.
As Regulatory Strategy practice lead, you will have:
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting, engineering, or a related field. Master’s degree is strongly preferred.
- 15+ years of experience developing and delivering regulatory support to electric and natural gas utility clients.
- Demonstrated expertise in at least three of the following areas:
- Utility Accounting. A thorough understanding and facility with utility accounting methods and procedures, including cost recovery and cost allocation. Ability to analyze cost synergies in an M&A process.
- Load research and load profiling. The ability to apply load research methods and state of the art load forecasting approaches to properly forecast gross and net 8760 demand, by class.
- Customer research. The ability to analyze and forecast customer technology choice, preferences, and usage patterns, including demand for new or differentiated services and rates.
- Cost of Service. The ability to analyze all components of cost of service, including items such as a utility’s cost of capital.
- Rates and Ratemaking. The ability to analyze and develop modified or new rates for particular classes and services.
- Comprehensive Regulatory Strategy. Putting all of these components together along with externalities (such as Government policy directives) to develop a utility regulatory strategy.
- Expert Testimony. Ability to draft and deliver expert testimony before regulatory bodies, including responding to interrogatories and cross examination.
- Proven track record of successful business development.
- Ability to set and clearly articulate goals/priorities and exhibit a high level of energy and drive to achieve them. A perspective that encourages personal commitment and holds management and support staff accountable for achieving targets.
- Proven track record building operational unity and collaboration, combining business processes, and forging communication to create synergy and growth.
- Strategic but hands-on leader with exceptional organizational, communications, and people management skills.
- The ability to gain the respect of peers within a leadership team, forge strategic alliances, and be able to influence peers across the organization while achieving key corporate goals.
- Strong business and financial acumen; focused on actions and outcomes.
- Demonstrated capabilities in developing effective relationships with clients, industry stakeholders, and service providers.
- Ability to work with and inspire all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)