Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Utility Energy Resilience & Decarbonization Market Development Lead (Remote USA)
***This position could be located anywhere on the East Coast***
ICF is looking for a Utility Energy Resilience & Decarbonization Market Development Lead to help advance business development, strategic, and technical initiatives broadly related to climate issues, including decarbonization pathways and adaptation, for power sector clients and other energy infrastructure owners/operators.
The power sector is in an exciting period of innovation and change with urgent decarbonization needs and increased attention on resilience. Utilities, regulators, investors, and others have a role in improving resilience throughout the power sector, from long-range planning, investment and grid modernization to regulation, policy, disclosure, and operations. At the same time, the industry faces challenges and opportunities associated with reaching a carbon-free electricity mix that will require strategic decarbonization and clean energy planning.
ICF is actively involved in supporting resiliency and decarbonization efforts across the nation. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our world-class team and help us continue to grow and serve our clientele in this area. This position is preferably located in Arlington, VA, or New York City, but can be flexible.
The ideal candidate brings great business judgment and deep knowledge of the regulated utility industry. We are seeking a successful relationship builder, policy expert, technical expert, project manager, and persuasive written and oral communicator with strong critical thinking skills. You will work with an interdisciplinary team of subject matter experts in climate risk assessment, power sector modeling, transmission & distribution planning, distributed energy resources, resilience and master planning, and decarbonization. ICF needs a talented and driven team member who understands resilience and decarbonization policies and regulations to support sales and execution of ICF work in these market spaces.
Specific duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with sales managers and utility clients to build regulatory acceptance and advance programs and technologies to support utility resilience and decarbonization goals.
- Remove obstacles and promote policies to advance ICF’s business through observing and documenting regulatory and legislative proceedings, participating in forums that inform utility planning and actions, and working closely with utilities to engage government officials, regulators, and stakeholders.
- Anticipate business needs through client relationships and analyses of regulatory information including filings, public utility commission orders, testimony, hearings on topics such as rate cases, storm hardening programs, tariffs design, and system planning.
- Drive proposals to meet identified client needs and win new work in a competitive environment.
- Lead and execute resilience- and/or decarbonization-related analysis with broad set of ICF experts, utilities, national laboratories, academia, and industry.
- Establish strong relationships with regulatory staff, state energy offices, and key federal government departments to influence resilience and decarbonization program requirements and expectations.
- Be a public spokesperson for ICF at industry associations, conferences, and other external meetings.
- Identify synergistic teaming partners, and work with industry and stakeholder partners to grow and/or defend the overall market for energy resilience and decarbonization in strategic regions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Technical and strategic experience in the energy sector across electricity generation, transmission, and distribution, preferably working in a consulting environment
- Demonstrated experience working in multi-disciplinary teams to produce high-impact results
- BA/BS in government, policy, economics, business, or related degree (and preferably a relevant advanced degree)
- At least 8 years of work experience in a relevant field and preferably at least 3 years of direct experience in a similar role
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, team-focused environment where you need to build consensus across multiple departments
- Willingness to travel
- Utility industry experience
- Exceptional relationship building and persuasive communication skills
- Outstanding reputation with a well-developed network of industry contacts
- Experience with climate change adaptation and resilience and/or climate mitigation and decarbonization
- Demonstrated strategic advising for senior organizational leaders on issues related capital planning and rate cases for infrastructure investments
- Business development, marketing and proposal experience
- Detail-oriented, entrepreneurial, and have strong political instincts
- Strong capabilities to deliver solutions to complex problems and to convince others to adopt your vision
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Arlington, VA (VA31)