Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
TB Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance Senior Diagnostics Advisor - New Delhi, India
Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance (IDDS) is a five-year United States Agency for International Development (USAID)-funded project with the following overall objectives: (1) Improve the detection of diseases of public health importance and identification of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in priority infectious diseases including Tuberculosis (TB) through an accessible, accurate, adaptable, timely, and integrated diagnostic network system; (2)Improve the quality of real-time surveillance systems for pathogens of greatest public health concern, including AMR and zoonotic diseases, and; (3) Generate evidence-based guidance and innovative solutions to strengthen in-country diagnostic networks and surveillance systems.
In India, the IDDS project will focus on activities to accelerate the diagnosis of TB and build off previous USAID and US Governments investments and activities for improved TB diagnostics including multi-drug resistant (MDR) TB. IDDS activities will enhance the impact of TB support provided by the Global Fund and other donors to the Government of India’s TB strategic plan objectives to achieve the UN high level meeting targets. IDDS will focus on activities to achieve three key results:
Strengthen the public-sector network of TB laboratories to improve quality and efficiencies of the TB diagnostics cascade Improve the private sector laboratories engagement for TB diagnostics Design and implement research and new TB diagnostic tools to inform policies and best practices
ICF is seeking a Senior TB Diagnostics Specialist to support the diagnostics systems capacity building work for the IDDS project. The work will focus primarily on public health systems but will also include private sector involvement, TB diagnostic research and other non-governmental diagnostic facilities (laboratories and point-of-care facilities). The position will be based in New Delhi, India and will involve frequent in-country travel. Technical responsibilities include, strengthening and maintaining the TB diagnostic network, technical support to the six NRLs and 33 IRLs, designing innovative models and framework to strengthen the TB diagnostic cascade in public and private sector and mentorship to key national stakeholders. This position reports to the IDDS Team Lead based in New Delhi, India.
Responsibilities: The Senior TB Diagnostic Specialist has the following responsibilities:
- Implement TB-focused technical assistance, diagnostic network and facilities strengthening, and quality improvement interventions in line with national priorities.
- Support developing or updating national diagnostic network strategic plans, SOPs and policies.
- Provide technical guidance and work closely with the TB central division to improve TB diagnostic cascade in 6 NRLs and 33 IRLs through technical guidance, innovative models and frameworks.
- Review adherence to diagnostic algorithms, best practice, national and international standards in in 6 NRLs and 33 IRLs.
- Conduct assessments of diagnostic facilities in public and private sector facilities and the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and initiatives.
- Provide technical oversight for private sector engagement and contribution to India TB diagnostic network
- Work collaboratively and coordinate with other technical staff as well as project partners on development and implementation of the project workplans.
- Build human resource capacity in 6 NRLs, 33 IRLs and private sector facilities to scale-up TB diagnostics in India.
- Provide technical assistance and mentorship to TB diagnostic facilities and the overall diagnostic network as part of overall capacity building and continuous improvement programs.
- Support strategies to ensure functional TB diagnostic equipment including systems to maintain laboratory equipment, securing maintenance contracts, and establishing a cadre of trained biomedical engineers.
- Support the design and development of TB diagnostic research protocol and initiatives in close collaboration with India TB research consortium.
- Work closely with the IDDS team to define and adjust annual work plans as well as implementing technical activities.
- Coordinate and work with a diverse group of national organizations including the Government and other diagnostic network leaders, development partners, other regional and global IDDS staff and USAID.
- Follow established processes to guarantee the technical and programmatic quality of IDDS work in India
- Master’s degree or equivalent clinical diagnostics, laboratory medicine or related discipline
- 7+ years of experience in TB-focused diagnostic strengthening and capacity building in the country.
- Technical competency in the diagnosis of infectious diseases (TB and DRTB) including specific hands-on diagnostics experience.
- Ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects
- Competent in current diagnostic methods for tuberculosis including point-of-care tests.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong interpersonal skills in facilitation and stakeholder engagement/coordination
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30% including regionally
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Authorization to work in India
- PhD, MD or DrPH in clinical diagnostics, infectious disease epidemiology, or related field
- Experience working on USAID projects
- Indian national
- Familiarity with Global Laboratory Initiative standards
- Familiarity with USG programs
Selection of final applicant is subject to USAID approval.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
New Delhi, India (II77)