Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
TB Diagnostics Specialist (GeneXpert Network) - Harare, Zimbabwe
Infectious Disease Detection and Surveillance (IDDS) is a five-year USAID-funded project with the following overall objectives: (1) Improve the detection of diseases of public health importance, including tuberculosis (TB), and identification of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in priority infectious diseases through an accessible, accurate, adaptable, timely, and integrated diagnostic network system; (2)Improve the quality of real-time surveillance systems for pathogens of greatest public health concern, including AMR and zoonotic diseases, and; (3) Generate evidence-based guidance and innovative solutions to strengthen in-country diagnostic networks and surveillance systems.
In Zimbabwe, the IDDS project is focusing on activities to accelerate TB diagnosis including multi-drug resistant (MDR) TB and build upon previous USAID and US Governments investments in TB diagnosis and care. IDDS activities will enhance the impact of TB support provided by the Global Fund and other donor support to the Government of Zimbabwe’s TB strategic plan objectives to achieve the UN high level meeting targets.
ICF is seeking a TB Diagnostic Specialist (GeneXpert Network) responsible for supporting the national GeneXpert network and ensuring maximum GeneXpert utilization and that results from the platform are relayed and utilized for better patient care. This position will report to the IDDS Country Team Lead based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Support implementation of TB -focused technical assistance, diagnostic network and facilities strengthening, and quality improvement interventions in line with national priorities
- Monitor utilization and functionality of GeneXpert and other TB diagnostic platforms
- Support strengthening of systems for preventive maintenance of GeneXpert machines
- Assist with the national GeneXpert PT scheme
- Support the national and regional implementation of GxAlert connectivity solution to strengthen the Laboratory Information Management System
- Support GxAlert connectivity training for national, provincial, district and facility level personnel
- Support MoHCC in the monitoring of the GxAlert dashboard, exporting the data, analyzing and availing the information for decision making
- Monitor the weekly active and inactive sites identification and contact the inactive sites for connection or technical support
- Conducts assessments of diagnostic facilities and the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and initiatives
- Build capacity of TB laboratories to perform more TB diagnostic tests including Truenat
- Work closely with the IDDS team to define and adjust annual work plans as well as implementing technical activities
- Coordinate and work with a diverse group of national organizations including the Government and other diagnostic network leaders, other regional and global IDDS staff and USAID.
- Follow established processes to guarantee technical and programmatic quality of IDDS work in Zimbabwe
Required Experiences and Skills:
- A minimum of a BSc in clinical diagnostics, laboratory science, HBMLS or an equivalent.
- At least five years of experience in TB-focused diagnostic strengthening and capacity building in the country or in a comparable setting
- Technical competency in the diagnosis of infectious diseases (TB preferable) including specific hands-on diagnostics experience
- Competent in current diagnostic methods for TB including point-of-care tests
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong interpersonal skills in facilitation and stakeholder engagement/coordination
- Willingness and ability to travel a minimum of 25% within Zimbabwe and other travel as needed
- Authorization to work in Zimbabwe
- Familiarity with Global Laboratory Initiative standards
- Familiarity with USG programs
- Zimbabwe National
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
Nairobi, Kenya (KE51)