Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Special Assistant - Community Development Specialist
In this role, you will serve as a Special Assistant to a senior official within of the Office of Community Services (OCS) within the Administration of Children and Families (ACF) at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). OCS administers a range of programs to reduce the causes of poverty, increase opportunity and economic security of individuals and families and revitalize communities. This individual is an integral part of the ICF team currently providing support to this office and under the supervision of their ICF supervisor will provide direct support to the OCS leadership. This position requires a self-starter who is skilled and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and has strong attention to detail; superb communication skills; excellent problem solving skills; and the ability to interface professionally with senior leadership within and beyond OCS. This position is temporarily remote. Once COVID restrictions are lifted, this position will be based at the federal client site in Washington, DC.
Your responsibilities may include any of the following:
- Producing well written reports, memorandums, web products, guidance resources, and training materials.
- Supporting data collection, analysis, reporting, quality assurance, and compliance.
- Providing general project support (monthly reporting, invoicing, data analysis, electronic file management, grants management support).
- Conducting research, analyzing current policies, evaluating the effects of proposed legislation, and reporting on findings.
- Assisting with in person and remote meeting planning and logistics, including room assignment, setup of telecommunications, tracking of registrations, management of call recordings and attendance lists, taking notes, and conducting follow-up actions from meeting.
- Learning and utilizing client technical systems, such as GrantSolutions, Swift, On-Line Data Collection System, SharePoint, etc.
- Providing executive assistant support to the leadership.
- Miscellaneous ad hoc clerical tasks involving filing, labeling, word processing, developing spreadsheets, etc.
- Creating and editing correspondence documents, reports and presentations using Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Maintaining regular reporting and communications—at least weekly—with ICF managers and proactively communicate about workload, questions, and topics for discussion related to strong client support.
- Bachelors degree in Public Policy, Government, Economics, Urban Planning or other relevant field
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Interest in community development and helping underserved communities
- 3-5 years of related experience; Hill experience is a plus
- Team player with the ability to take initiative and work well independently – a self-motivated individual who is solution-oriented
- Outstanding time management skills and ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities, including the ability to be flexible, multi-task, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment where priorities are constantly shifting
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities, including the ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, tact, and diplomacy
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Familiarity with data collection and reporting, and ability to interpret data metrics and identify trends
- High level of attention to detail
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills including courtesy, professionalism, and a cooperative attitude
- Demonstrated customer service orientation and outstanding level of professionalism
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to keep track of multiple tasks and deliverables
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
DC Remote Office (DC99)