Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Software Release Engineer
ICF is a rapidly growing, entrepreneurial, multi-faceted consulting company, seeking a Software Release Engineer to support our National Institutes of Health project. The National Institutes of Health, a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the primary Federal agency for conducting and supporting medical research (http://www.nih.gov/).
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) at NIH advances science and public health by providing free access to biomedical information and resources to scientists, health professionals, and the public (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/). It is the world’s largest biomedical library and a leader in research in computational health informatics. NLM develops and delivers the ClinicalTrials.gov database that has over 400,000 privately and publicly funded clinical studies from around the world with over 4.5 million visitors each month. This site is a web-based resource that provides patients, their family members, health care professionals, researchers, and the public with easy access to information on publicly and privately supported clinical studies on a wide range of diseases and conditions.
You will join ClinicalTrials.gov team of web developers and software engineers to implement solutions as needed, including support and maintenance of build tools, maintenance of software releases and updates for the existing infrastructure.
The position is on-site at the U.S. National Library of Medicine located in Bethesda, Maryland. There are workplace flexibilities that may allow for some telework days.
What you will be doing:
- Working in a matrixed Agile team with embedded clients to design and deploy Java applications and fix software build issues
- Design and build for performance and accessibility
- Manage, document, and enhance software products and implementations
- Oversee and ensure timely software releases for organizations
- Analyze design patters (singleton, factory, visitor, observer) and code written in Java
- Download, patch, and update systems and applications
- Support and troubleshoot Java based applications and code based on customer needs and bug fixes. Implement changes and bug fixes.
- Collaborate with colleagues to monitor existing systems and perform maintenance support
- Degree Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or other related scientific or technical discipline
- Years of Experience Requirements: 3+ years of professional IT experience.
- 2+ years of DevOps or Software Release Engineering experience using Linux (bash/perl/con) and java web-based applications (servlets, Tomcat webserver)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in Java coding and programming. Ability to analyze the code, implement changes and bug fixes, understand Java design patterns (singleton, factory, visitor, observer), multithreading, build tools and packages
- Understanding of MySQL databases
- Experience with the Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS or Azure.
- Knowledge of OpenShift and GitLab platforms.
- Knowledge of microservice architecture.
Technologies/tools you’ll use:
- Linux shell and command line utilities (creating cron jobs, writing scripts, using grep/find for log analysis)
- Java web applications: servlets, Tomcat webserver
- MySQL: JOINs, aggregate functions, transactions, INNODB vs MyISAM
- Custom in-house tools (BSE, POLKA and custom written Java app) for the builds, deployment and monitoring.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)