Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Subject Matter Expert - Research Psychologist
ICF is seeking PhD- trained Research Psychologists with a clinical, counseling, or community psychology background to support a Department of Defense (DoD) client in the Washington, DC Metro Area (i.e., the DMV). This position will focus on research to continuously enhance the DoD Psychological Health community’s knowledge of mental health conditions of greatest concern to the military. The positions require strong mental health / psychological scientists with demonstrable experience conducting both rapid and detailed secondary research to include, but not be limited to literature reviews, systematic reviews, rapid reviews, gap reports, etc.
Selected candidates will collect, analyze, synthesize, document, and disseminate psychological research findings to continuously evolve the DoD Military Health System’s understanding of mental health conditions of most interest to the military.
- Design and perform research projects (systematic and/or literature reviews, rapid reviews, etc.) to analyze and interpret findings to produce written evidence-based artifacts (e.g., briefings, manuscripts, white papers, blog posts, position papers, etc.) on psychological health related topics. Ensure evidence-based conclusions and interpretations are informed and validated by reliable, valid data.
- Provide expert consultation and support on the design and implementation of ongoing efforts. Conduct systematic reviews of the leading literature base, evaluations of existing programs, and research demonstrations to evaluate service delivery programs.
- Inform the client’s research agenda by performing gap reviews that identify areas of Psychological Health where greater knowledge is needed; and support efforts to prioritize the agenda with this evidence-based research.
- Respond to high priority information requests from other areas of DoD, other agencies, Congress, the White House, etc. by researching a specific Psychological Health topic, an informing the response to the information request. These requests sometimes require very quick turns.
- Provide expert consultation to support the client’s overall research agenda.
- Provide mental/behavioral health subject matter expertise to other project teams developing/maintaining clinical support tools, evaluating program effectiveness, or evaluating DoD mental health-related policies and guidelines.
- Apply mental health and research expertise in supporting the evaluation of existing programs, report on evaluation results, and recommend changes as applicable.
- Utilize biomedical databases and conduct web searches utilizing repositories such as PsychARTICLES, PubMed, EMBASE, OVID, CINAHL, The Cochrane Library, ClinicalTrials.gov, etc.
- Conduct evidence synthesis and dissemination initiatives, including internal projects and external reviews conducted by federally funded research and development centers.
- PhD in Psychology focusing on Research, Clinical, Community, Counseling or other relevant applied psychological discipline.
- 10 years post-doctoral experience conducting research in the field of psychological health
- Demonstrated experience and expertise with multiple research methods (as stated above) and study design.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation, evaluation, or research of community or clinical psychology interventions focused on mental health conditions of most interest to the military (e.g., PTSD, suicide prevention, operational stress, substance abuse prevention, adjustment disorders, etc.).
- Strong written and oral communication skills required to translate evidence to practice for broad based uptake.
- Expert level knowledge of APA citation formats; proficiency with citation and bibliographic software
- Experience utilizing biomedical databases and Psychological Health-related repositories such as PsychARTICLES, PubMed, EMBASE, OVID, CINAHL, The Cochrane Library, ClinicalTrials.gov, etc.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate directly with peers, managers, and clients while leading projects to successful completion.
- Strong organization skills to manage multiple timelines and complete tasks quickly within the constraints of clients’ timelines and budgets. This position is expected to support more than one PHCoE project or activity at a time.
- Very strong MS Office skills, specifically Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Experience working in, or with, DoD or other federal agencies.
- Experience conducting meta-analysis or evidence grading in military mental health.
- Prior experience supporting federal service contracts.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)