Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Research Scientist - Public Health & Evaluation
ICF seeks a Senior Research Scientist to support ongoing research and evaluation projects associated with the Chronic Disease Prevention and Community Health Promotion Portfolio in the Public Health line of business, Atlanta, GA. The selected candidate will be responsible for performing key tasks and assisting in the performance of program research and evaluation by conducting scoping and systematic reviews, conducting site observations, conducting interviews, analyzing data, and helping to disseminate information through the development of briefs, reports, presentations, and manuscripts.
At ICF you will have an opportunity to apply your academic knowledge and prior experience to gain exposure to major projects, interact with experts in the field, and build specific content knowledge and consulting skills. Candidates must have the ability to support research and evaluation projects (conceptualize problems, implement appropriate study methods, apply appropriate quantitative and qualitative techniques to analyses). The successful candidate also must be able to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with internal colleagues, clients and their constituents. Candidates must have a solid grounding in public health, evaluation science, social science, or behavioral science.
Experience in public health emergency preparedness and response at the national, state, and local levels and/or chronic disease prevention and community health promotion content areas is required. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented self-starter who can work independently to solve problems creatively and work effectively within a team, taking direction from others while also contributing to overall project goals. Candidates must be able to synthesize qualitative and quantitative information from a variety of sources and juggle multiple tasks, and at times converging deadlines. Candidates must also interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
This is an excellent opportunity for an early career professional such as a recent MPH graduate with at least 3 years of project experience.
To apply, please submit your resume and a writing sample.
Primary responsibilities for this position will involve performing assignments related to various projects, under the direction of senior leaders. Assignments typically include the following.
- Participate in developing and implementing evaluation plans for public health programs focused on chronic disease prevention and community health promotion, often with an emphasis on health equity.
- Conduct literature reviews (e.g., scoping reviews, landscape analyses, systematic reviews) by extracting findings from the literature and translating research findings.
- Collect primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys.
- Lead and/or participate in site visits and structured observations; some travel may be required (after resolution of COVID-19).
- Perform qualitative research activities, such as design of interview and focus group protocols, coding data, performing analysis using thematic coding and qualitative software programs such as MAXQDA.
- Write IRB and OMB package materials; contribute to successful IRB and OMB approvals.
- Develop study reports, presentations, or manuscripts, writing drafts of study background, methods, results, and recommendations.
- Communicate study findings in visually appealing brief reports, such as with infographics, graphs, and charts.
- Master's degree in public health, public policy, behavioral/social sciences, or related field required.
- 3 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, particularly systematic scoping reviews and/or landscape analyses.
- Experience in report writing and other technical writing. (Include writing samples.)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Good verbal and written communication, which are essential in this fast-paced client-oriented environment.
- Experience conducting research or evaluation in partnership with health departments or community-based organizations is highly desired.
- Knowledge of statistical software such as SPSS, SAS, Stata, or R to conduct quantitative data analyses, including descriptive data summaries and inferential statistics.
- Experience using MAXQDA, ATLAS.ti, NVivo, or other qualitative data analysis software for analysis.
- Experience in consulting or other similarly fast-paced, demanding environments.
- Superior writing skills including expertise in independently developing written products such as study reports, briefs, and presentations. (Writing samples required.)
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills including professionalism, courtesy, willingness to support others, and a cooperative attitude.
- Candidate should be able to work efficiently and effectively with little supervision, both independently and as a member of a diverse team.
- Ability to be flexible, prioritize, and manage multiple activities in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Atlanta, GA (GA18)