Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Research Scientist, Criminal Justice
Senior Research Scientist, Criminal Justice
Justice Workforce and Community Development
The Justice, Workforce and Community Development (JWCD) Research and Evaluation Team has a broad portfolio of projects focusing on criminal justice practices and policies. The team is seeking a Senior Research Scientist to work on multiple projects with topics ranging from victim services, juvenile justice, human trafficking, corrections, and law enforcement. You will be responsible for leading key tasks, serving as a project manager, reviewing and overseeing the work of more junior staff, and assisting in the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data through reports, journal articles, and presentations. In addition, you will assist in contract and/or grant proposal efforts by leading and managing individual efforts (as relevant), writing key sections and overseeing support sections. This is a mid-level management position for a criminal justice researcher looking to grow existing project management experience, statistical analysis, and business development skills in a fast-paced environment. You will contribute to the development of innovative, high quality products and services in support for multiple projects.
- Lead and manage complex projects and tasks, including oversight and mentoring of junior staff.
- Oversee project budgets and adherence to project timelines and deliverables.
- Collect primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys. Lead site visits.
- Manage databases and clean/process data using statistical analysis software such as SPSS, Stata, or SAS.
- Oversee the transcription and coding of qualitative data.
- Analyze primary and secondary data using intermediate and advanced statistical methods.
- Teach/oversee entry-level staff in foundational quantitative methods such as programming in statistical software and basic statistical analyses.
- Write proposal sections or lead small proposal efforts. Contribute to writing reports, journal articles, and policy/practitioner briefs.
- Present methods and findings to clients and represent projects at select national conferences and to key stakeholders.
- Engage partners and potential clients to expand ICF’s network and build business relationships.
- Supervise junior researchers on adherence to ICF policy, provided mentorship, offer insights on professional growth, and oversee technical responsibilities.
- PhD or equivalent in criminal justice, sociology, statistics, economics, or related field with a minimum GPA of 3.5 (unofficial transcript required with application).
- 3+ years of work experience in applied social science research, with multiple past projects related to criminal justice topics.
- Experience or knowledge related to victim services/victimology, juvenile justice, human trafficking, corrections, and/or other criminal justice areas.
- Experience managing complex tasks with little oversight.
- Demonstrated mastery and work experience (outside the classroom) related to statistical analyses and software (i.e., SPSS, SAS, and Stata) with strong skills in programming/syntax.
- Experience with data collection, administering surveys, interviews, focus groups, or structured observations in multiple settings.
- Superior technical writing skills including editing ability (writing sample is required) and recent publication of research findings (writing sample required with application).
- Willingness to travel approximately 10% nationwide on an annual basis.
- Proficient in MS applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with advanced statistical techniques, such as social network analysis, cost-benefit analysis, geospatial analysis/mapping, or advanced modeling (e.g., regression with diverse distributions, SEM, HLM).
- Experiencing managing mid-sized to large projects (at least $300,000).
- Prior research experience with vulnerable populations, especially victims or youth.
- Experience and ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and partners.
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet stringent deadlines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills including professionalism and a collaborative attitude. Candidate should enjoy and be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, prioritize, work independently, and manage multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and eager to learn.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)