Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Power Markets Consultant
Senior Power Markets Consultant
CA or Fairfax, VA
Our work is focused on supporting the rapid transformation of the US power system. Working within project teams, your role will be to assist in the continued development of ICF’s Power practice and support our clients to identify and pursue investment opportunities in support of development and M&A across a range of technologies and across US power markets, with a strong focus on California and the Western Interconnection (WECC) regions. You will analyze how decarbonization strategies will impact the markets and how the grid needs to evolve to enable increasing levels of renewable penetration. You will have an opportunity to apply your experience and knowledge with project management, gain exposure to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while building content knowledge and consulting skills.
What you will do:
- Manage a project team of analysts and associates focused on California market, participate in business development activities, lead the projects, and interface with clients on key deliverables
- Stay abreast of California and western market developments and provide fundamental analysis, insights and perspectives on California electricity markets as they affect both utility-scale and distributed resources
- Simulate and develop models and tools to analyze electricity markets, with a focus on the California energy market, especially impacts of clean energy policies
- Collaborate with other ICF groups (markets, policy and planning, fuels, technical advisory, etc.) on cross-cutting opportunities, market research, and modeling
- Contribute to the development of power market analysis tools especially modeling of new technologies including storage, co-located solar and storage, offshore wind and hydrogen across wholesale power markets in North America especially California and WECC
- Perform advanced quantitative and economic analysis of energy markets to assess and forecast the future of electric power market and prices, power plant operation and valuation, fuel consumption, environmental emissions and compliance, transmission, regulatory effects, among other parameters.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Public Policy, Business, or similar
- A minimum of 2-3 years of work experience in energy market forecasting and analysis particularly in CAISO and WECC markets
- 2+ years of experience with electricity market modeling (e.g., PROMOD, GEMAPS, PLEXOS)
- Work flexibility as part of a project team or independently as needed
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Operations Research, Economics, Business, or a related discipline
- Consulting experience, including project management, client exposure and staff oversight responsibilities
- Experience with powerflow tools (e.g., PSLF, PSSE, UPLAN, POWERGEM )
- Working knowledge of data analysis tools and/or programming languages, such as R, Python, VBA, Tableau, Power BI)
- Demonstrable experience of opportunity spotting through research / analysis
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)