Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Consultant - Public Policy
ICF (www.icf.com) is a consultancy firm with offices in the UK, Belgium, US and worldwide. At ICF, we help governments, public agencies and international institutions solve complex problems and improve the quality of life of people around the world. We offer critical insight, rigorous analytical techniques and implementation support to deliver innovative solutions and thought-provoking analyses for our clients.
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigour to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to assist our clients and benefit their constituencies. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
About the team:
As we continue to expand our services, we are looking for Senior Consultants to join our Policy Implementation and Programmes practice and support the management and delivery of large policy programmes. The practice provides technical assistance, insights, research, networking and other implementation services to EU institutions, particularly the European Commission, as well as organisations in the UK. Our current portfolio of projects supports the main Directorates-General of the Commission, spanning Mutual Learning Services for DG Employment and Social Inclusion, supporting the European Platform Tackling Undeclared Work and the Capacity Building Centre on behalf of the European Labour Authority, operating the European Centre of Expertise on labour market policy and labour law, supporting the EQAVET Network, designing and delivering training services, working within the framework of DG REFORM – to name a few.
About the role:
We are looking for Senior Consultants who can work on a range of subjects that might include:
- Employment-related subjects for the European Labour Authority and DG EMPL (such as tackling undeclared work, labour law, the work of labour inspectorates and other employment related issues).
- Social Policy subjects, from social inclusion to skills, supporting the implementation of the European Pillar of Social Rights.
Depending on their experience, candidates would support the management of large programmes and deliver specific activities or strands of work within programmes, reporting to Programme and Contract Managers. Candidates could work across more than one project and be expected to:
- Contribute to / lead the organisation and support of programme-related activities with the aim of building capacity, such as working groups, secretariats, helpdesk or advisory services, communities of practice and expert networks and more.
- Research, analyse and produce policy content in different forms, and/or oversee junior team members carrying out written work. Examples include thematic or analytical papers, case studies, good practice fiches, mapping and comparative exercises, monitoring and evaluation surveys, stakeholder interviews, etc.
- Prepare reports, presentations and other written deliverables for a range of audiences, from technical annual reports through to website content.
- Contribute to the design and organisation of face-to-face, virtual and hybrid workshops and events, supported by a dedicated event logistics and technical team. With a strong focus on content development for our senior consultants, this includes developing elements of the agenda, writing summaries, and facilitating event discussions.
- Contribute to proposal-writing and preparations, including writing sections of the technical offer, and identifying and coordinating with relevant experts.
- Undertake other consultancy tasks, as required.
At Senior Consultant level, the person will typically take forward and coordinate packages of activities and deliverables, as well as be more involved in project and line management, where opportunities arise. The work will be hands-on and varied, ranging from analytical work to the practical management of networks, working groups and workshops. A solid understanding and application of the policy subject-matters mentioned earlier, as well as an ability to interact with many stakeholders will be important, such as national ministries, international organisations, non-governmental / third-sector bodies, social partners, research institutes, independent experts, etc. This requires good writing and communication abilities in a multi-national environment.
- University degree or equivalent in a related discipline, for example public policy, politics, law, economics
- 6+ years professional experience in consultancy, public policy and/or government affairs in the EU and/or UK
- Knowledge and interest in social policy, ideally in relation to employment, labour market, social inclusion and protection, skills, education and public administration and governance.
- Strong organisational and coordination skills, including time management, multi-tasking and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Solid foundation in research and analysis, including basic qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Knowledge of communications methods and tools in the context of disseminating outputs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including interacting with multi-national and multi-disciplinary stakeholders.
- Knowledge of the European market
- Ability to self-organise, prioritise and manage/ work with multiple work strands and teams in parallel under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- High level of ability and confidence to perform tasks with minimum supervision
- Ability to work flexibly to meet client and organisational priorities and needs
- Strong commitment to and interest in the above-mentioned policy areas
- Sound research and business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Excellent communication skills, including experience with presenting key methodologies and concepts to clients
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical and presentation skills in English - additional European languages an advantage
- Commitment to the progression and development of junior research / other staff
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as clients and sub-contractors
- Ability to work within multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams spread across several countries
- Willingness to travel within Europe, as required
- Entrepreneurial talent to identify and realise new opportunities, as well as new innovations / approaches that will improve efficiency
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
Brussels, Belgium (BE75)