Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Consultant in Migration
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to assist our clients and benefit their constituencies. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join a well-established public policy practice within ICF that manages a spectrum of programmes, including the European Migration Network, European Platform tackling undeclared work, training for the European Solidarity Corps and EU Aid Volunteers, grant management for the UK Airfield Development Advisory Fund, and mutual learning services on youth unemployment, minimum income, the ‘gig’ economy work and many other topics.
Your work will be hands-on and varied, ranging from researching and preparing thematic and analytical papers, identifying good practice in European countries and developing content for knowledge banks, through to supporting practical learning and networking in the form of working groups, workshops, study visits, seminars, etc. All of this is grounded in a solid understanding and application of the policy subject-matter, as well as an ability to interact with many stakeholders, such as national ministries, international organisations, non-governmental / third-sector bodies, social partners, research institutes, independent experts, etc. This naturally requires a flair for good writing and communication in a multi-national environment.
Specifically, you will play a key role in supporting the work of the European Migration Network (EMN). The EMN provides up-to-date, objective, reliable and comparable information on migration and asylum with a view to supporting policymaking in the European Union. The EMN also aims to inform the general public on migration and asylum. Since 2009 ICF has provided technical assistance and research services to the EMN, working closely with DG Migration and Home Affairs. This includes producing reports, studies and briefing papers on topical issues of migration and asylum and delivering a range of communications services, including conferences, workshops, the EMN Bulletin plus maintaining the EMN’s webpages. Other services include providing a secretariat function to the network and its various sub- and working groups, monitoring the work of the network of National Contact Points in the Member States, Norway, Georgia and Moldova; and undertaking in-country visits and support.
Using their knowledge of migration and asylum policies in the EU, the Senior Consultant would lead on the production of the wide range of EMN outputs, and lead on the thematic content for dissemination and communications activities. The Senior Consultant may also have the opportunity to contribute to ICF’s wider portfolio of implementation and research / consulting services on relevant thematic topics.
Main responsibilities :
- Manage comparative research, mapping, analysis and production of policy content in different forms. Examples include preparing thematic or analytical papers, studies, reports, etc. For the EMN, this will include attending planning meetings, designing study specifications, analysing and synthesising information, drafting synthesis reports, working closely with the Commission, nominated advisory groups and with EMN National Contact Points (NCPs), and in cooperation with policymakers and other relevant external entities.
- Contribute to the design and content of face-to-face, virtual and hybrid events, to disseminate research outcomes, supported by a dedicated event logistics and technical team. Take the lead in organising the annual EMN Day and provide content-related support to the preparation of EMN NCP-led events, conferences, thematic meetings and other formats to exchange and disseminate knowledge that will advance the discussion on topics relevant to the EMN’s work programme.
- Contribute to the management of day-to-day client relationships, in collaboration with the EMN Project Manager and Project Coordinator
- Collaborate closely with other members of EMN project team, DG HOME, NCPs, external partners and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the organisation and support of other programme-related activities, such as working groups, secretariats, advisory services, communities of practice and expert networks and more.
- Undertake other consultancy tasks, as required.
- Contribute to proposal-writing and preparations, including writing sections of the technical offer, and identifying and coordinating with relevant experts.
At Senior Consultant level, in particular, you will typically take forward and coordinate packages of activities and deliverables, as well as be more involved in project and line management and more complex proposal-writing, where opportunities arise.
Desirable experience and competences:
· A Master's degree / PhD in social sciences, law, public policy, politics, economics or a related discipline.
· Demonstrable knowledge and interest in migration and asylum related issues
· Typically, as least five years' work experience within the context of EU policies on migration and asylum or related fields.
· Robust knowledge of European policy making process and EU Institutions, experience of working for the European Commission an advantage.
· Solid foundation in research and analysis, including basic qualitative and quantitative methods.
· Demonstrable experience in the coordination of internal / external experts at various levels to ensure tasks are completed to time and to budget.
· Knowledge of communications methods and tools in the context of disseminating research outcomes.
Skills and personal qualities:
· Strong commitment to and interest in the policy fields of asylum and migration;
· Excellent people management skills, with the ability to work within multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams spread across several countries.
· Excellent client management skills, ability to respond flexibly to meet changing client priorities whilst remaining pragmatic and managing client expectations.
· Strong organisational and coordination skills, including time management, multi-tasking and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including interacting with multi-national and multi-disciplinary stakeholders and self-motivation.
· Highly motivated, enthusiastic and positive attitude to problem solving.
· Ability to take own initiative and work without close supervision.
· Excellent verbal, written (including editing and proofreading skills), analytical and presentation skills in English - additional European languages an advantage.
· High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
· Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities and manage a varied workload to achieve agreed deadlines without compromising quality or standards.
· Willingness to travel within Europe, as required and once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
· Commitment to the progression and development of junior research / other staff.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
Brussels, Belgium (BE75)