Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Communications Specialist (Consultant)
Purpose of Position / SummaryThe senior communications specialist will be located at the US Department of Labor (DOL) in Washington DC (home-based while the US Government offices are still closed during the pandemic). The specialist will be responsible for developing and implementing the Bureau of International Labor Affairs’ (ILAB) Office of Child Labor, Forced Labor, and Human Trafficking (OCFT)’s integrated communications strategy. Duties include: assessing communications needs within OFCT; crafting comprehensive communications plans; developing outreach and messaging materials such as senior leadership’s speeches, policy briefs and presentations; and curating communications materials.
Candidate Profile The ideal candidate would be an individual with expert writing skills; demonstrated leadership in communications, marketing, and public relations; prior communications regarding child labor, forced labor, human trafficking or other related human rights; and ability to tailor messages to a variety of audiences and stakeholders.
Experience: 5-7 yearsLocation: Washington, DC at DOL, but due to COVID-19, this position is currently remote
Period of Performance: October 2022-January 2023
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The candidate’s responsibilities will include:
- Write, edit, maintain, and coordinate high-priority and high-visibility materials such as speeches, presentations, policy briefs, and messaging for senior ILAB officials to use when communicating with federal agency counterparts, journalists, the public, and others
- Write, edit, and oversee the production of publications, including articles, newsletters, project reports, blogs, press releases, photos, infographics, social media messaging, etc., in compliance with branding guidelines and organizational policies
- Implement an integrated communications strategy with targeted messages for both public and private stakeholders demonstrating results, success stories, outcomes, and learning from OCFT research and program implementation
- Coordinate with ILAB’s communications specialist and the DOL Office of Public Affairs, as needed, to ensure approval of public-facing materials, to socialize the office’s communications strategy, and to identify and liaise with high-influencing foreign and domestic journalists and media representatives on topics related to child labor, forced labor and human trafficking.
- Facilitate discussions with OCFT staff to conceptualize, design and develop infographics, charts, maps and other visual content to translate technical findings into user-friendly products for non-technical audiences
- Lead the development and dissemination of marketing materials, social media content, and other mediums to amplify content generated from OCFT research and project activities.
- Collaborate, as required, with the broader ILAB team to create a strategic communications plan that includes participation in key events, targeted communications materials development, and other strategies as defined in the plan
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree in English, communications, marketing, or public relations
- Extensive experience in communications, marketing, or public relations
- Experience developing materials on human rights related issues in the international context, especially as it relates to child labor, forced labor, and human trafficking
- Experience engaging with the government officials, the international development, and private sector communities
- Experience in communication strategy development and implementation
- Strong writing, including speechwriting, and editing skills with an ability to tailor the tone, content and form of written output to different audiences and to suit a variety of formats; ability to synthesize and simplify information and communicate it in a lively, accurate and understandable manner
- Ability to think strategically, creatively and to find innovative ways to respond to emerging organizational and project needs
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with changing requirements and priorities
- Strong cross-cultural, interpersonal, management, and collaboration skills in highly complex structures involving multiple teams and stakeholders
- Advanced critical thinking, sound problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in team settings
- Ability to use Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, Twitter, Facebook
- Knowledge of international worker rights, including the elimination of child labor and eradication of forced labor
- Experience using virtual platforms and development of promotional and educational videos and 3D animation.
- Experience in designing, planning, and executing virtual and in-person events.
Contact: Please send CV to Suteera Nagavajara, Research Director, ICF, International Health and Development Team, Email: email@example.com
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
DC Client Office (DC88)