Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Archaeologist SF Bay
San Francisco/Northern California, CA
We are ICF’s Environment & Planning Division. We are passionate about doing what’s right for our clients, our people, the communities where we live and work, and the environment. We are planners, scientists, program managers, communicators, economists, technologists, and strategists. We are collaborative, curious, and committed to excellence—these are qualities we value that make us who we are and inspire us to grow.
Speaking of growth, our Cultural Resources team which includes Secretary of the Interior qualified Archaeologists, Architectural Historians, Cultural Landscape Specialists, Historic Preservation Specialist & Historians is currently seeking a Senior Archaeologist to support our Northern California cultural resources practice in the San Francisco, CA office. Applicants living throughout northern CA are encouraged to apply.
As a Senior Archaeologist at ICF, you will oversee and/or contribute to archaeology and cultural resources studies as either stand-alone projects or as part of larger multi-disciplinary projects. You will combine your archaeology technical skills with deep regulatory compliance expertise to develop project-level analysis and programmatic solutions for CEQA, NEPA, and Section 106 reviews. You will also oversee or participate in research, fieldwork, laboratory analysis, monitoring, and preparation of technical reports and environmental documents. Technical duties will include conducting or directing background research, survey, testing, evaluation, data recovery, and construction monitoring, laboratory work, report preparation as well as other tasks. You will also be expected to contribute to marketing and proposal efforts for cultural resources opportunities or as part of a larger team on multi-disciplinary opportunities. As a senior archaeologist you will also be responsible for delegating work to junior staff and overseeing their work quality.
What You Will Do
- Provide technical direction, quality assurance, and analysis/writing for environmental regulatory reviews under CEQA, NEPA, and Section 106.
- Lead and coordinate technical work in archaeology.
- Evaluate resources for the National Register and California Register.
- Write and produce reports or documents.
- Work with other cultural resources staff who provide technical support in field and office settings.
- Collaborate with architectural and landscape historians toward an integrated multi-disciplinary approach to cultural resources investigations.
- Develop resource management recommendations and assess project effects on resources.
- Collaborate in an integrated team with engineers, scientists, planners, regulators, and other stakeholders.
What You Must Have
- Master’s degree in Archaeology or related field.
- 7+ years of professional, related experience.
- Demonstrated capability to serve as technical lead on archaeological studies.
- Command of CEQA, NEPA, NHPA, and other state and federal environmental regulations.
- Demonstrated capability to manage project budgets, schedules, and deliverables and effectively interface with client points of contact.
- Strong coordination, analytical and people skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, creative, and positive collaborative attitude.
- Use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
What We’d Like You To Have
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills
- Cultural specializations such as historic architecture, historic archaeology, or bioarchaeology.
- Participation in and management of project budget development, project schedules, tracking and production of deliverables, and oversight of QA/QC process tracking.
- Experience in business development, proposal, and marketing.
This is an outstanding opportunity to work with talented and passionate individuals and to grow with a firm that believes in nurturing talent and developing long-term career success. ICF is a purpose driven company with a strong culture and underlying values that prize diversity, opportunity, equality, and respect. Our core values include Embracing Differences, and we seek candidates who are passionate about building a culture that encourages, embraces and hires dimensions of differences.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
San Francisco, CA (CA78)