Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Senior Advisor for Research and Analysis
ICF seeks to hire a Senior Advisor for Research and Analysis for its USAID-funded Demographic and Health Surveys Program (DHS) in Rockville, Maryland. The Senior Advisor for Research and Analysis will provide technical and managerial leadership and oversight of the analysis and synthesis work undertaken by The DHS Program. In addition, the Senior Advisor for Research and Analysis will work with the Senior Capacity Strengthening Advisor to strengthen data analysis and use capacity in host countries. Examples of DHS in-house research conducted by the research team can be found at www.dhsprogram.com, by selecting “Analytical” under the “Publications Search” tab. This role has responsibilities at different levels – as an individual technical lead and project contributor, leader and manager of a team and senior level contributor to project management. As a senior leader, the Senior Advisor for Research and Analysis ensures open and inclusive communication, and integrates expertise, knowledge, and support throughout the project. The Senior Advisor for Research and Analysis is a Key Personnel position on the project and requires USAID approval.
This full-time position will be based in ICF’s Rockville, MD office in the Washington, DC metro area, once it is safe to reopen offices (which are currently closed due to COVID-19) and may require limited international travel..
The successful candidate will:
- Manage and lead a 3-6 person research team to conduct strategic, innovative, policy and program relevant research on demographic and health issues in low and middle income countries using DHS and other data sources
- Provide technical guidance and quality control of research and analytical products and resources, with a focus on timeliness, technical rigor, effective communication of technical work, and use
- Participate in the preparation of proposals, research reports, and journal articles as needed.
- Provide subject matter expertise to various project activities
- Coordinate budgets, contracts, and administration of research and analysis training activities
- Keep up regular communicate with the USAID management team that oversees The DHS Program and help meet their research needs
- Oversee the development and implementation of each fiscal year’s research agenda and work plans for submission to and approval by USAID
- Actively engage in communicating research findings to non-technical audiences particularly in host-countries
- Provide technical feedback to DHS data users
- Contribute to thought leadership and represent The DHS Program in relevant professional communities as a subject matter expert
- Contribute to project-wide efforts to strengthen data analysis and use capacity in DHS countries, including workshops, elearning and other relevant mechanisms.
- PhD, DrPH, ScD or equivalent in demography, public health, or similar discipline
- At least ten (10) years of experience in social science research, to include all of the following:
- Demonstrated experience in policy and program-relevant research
- Demonstrated expertise in the multivariate analysis of population-based and/or facility based survey data
- Experience with analysis of large-scale survey data sets, and
- An extensive publication record in peer-refereed journals
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and proven capabilities in communicating research findings to non-technical audiences
- Strong people management experience, including experience leading a diverse team.
- Demonstrated experience working with low and middle income country researchers/analysts
- Demonstrated experience in training or mentoring to build the capacity of individuals in research and/or data analysis skills
- Excellent STATA and/or other software skills
- Familiarity with population and health issues in low and middle income countries
- Familiarity with SharePoint and Microsoft suite of programs
- Knowledge of French, Spanish or other languages
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)