Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Researcher-Developer Tactical Network Security
ICF is seeking a Research Developer to assist with basic and applied research in tactical network security, conduct and develop experiments, and contribute to publications based on analysis of experimental results for the United States Army Research Laboratory Network Security Branch. The Researcher-Developer will be expected to work closely with client research leads, collaborators, and the ICF development team on Army relevant research topics. Experience with Linux, Python 3, cybersecurity principles, and machine learning principles needed. Must adhere to established Department of Defense (DoD) and Army policies and well as organizational policies.
- Develop research-supporting tools and capabilities
- Support demonstrations of research and tools, including providing visualization support
- Conduct experiments in conjunction with collaborators and supporting technical team.
- Analyze experimental results and document findings in research reports.
- Support and contribute to publications for peer-reviewed conferences and journals, technical reports, and other supporting documentation
- Maintain awareness of developments in tactical network security in the context of the Army mission. Read relevant publications, follow academic and commercial developments, be aware of Army doctrine and similar programs within the Army and DoD.
Required Professional Skills:
- Ability to develop experimental software in a research environment, performing rapid prototyping and evolving end goals as research demands.
- Ability to create and follow achievable schedules and deliverable products for research, development, and publishing efforts.
- Ability to multi-task and work productively within a team environment.
- Good communication skills, strong attention to detail, good time management
- Understanding of DoD and Army IA policies, guidance, and best practices.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Ability to maintain active DoD clearance.
- Must be DoD 8570 compliant and maintain required certifications for network administration.
- 3-5 years experience in information sciences preferably with a Bachelor’s degree in cybersecurity or computer science.
- Skilled with Microsoft Office products such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Mature, self-motivated, adaptable and able to work well in a group environment.
- Ability to maintain professional work appearance, attire, and positive behaviors.
- Experience with relevant information science topics, with at least some experience in one or more of the following areas: mobile/tactical networks, cybersecurity, internet of things (IoT), ad-hoc/mesh networks, and software defined networks (SDN).
- Hands-on experience as a network defender, analyst, or penetration tester is not strictly required, but appreciated.
- Experience with software for network traffic capture and dissection, such as tcpdump, Wireshark, etc.
- Experience with field of machine learning, and software for ML/AI applications, such as Tensorflow, Theano, Keras, Sci-Kit Learn.
- Python 3 fluency needed, C/C++, C#, Java knowledge also useful.
- Working knowledge of Elastic-Logstash-Kibana (ELK) stack useful, but not strictly required.
- Familiarity with ICS/SCADA and control networks for vehicles, such as an understanding of the CAN bus, how electronic control units (ECUs) function and communicate, etc.
- Familiarity with the basics of Army-relevant mobile/tactical communications networks and waveforms.
- Familiarity with Linux network interface socket setup and configuration, Python 3, client-server operations including messaging applications like MQTT, virtual machine and Docker container usage.
- Relevant security and general certifications such as CompTIA Security+, Certified Ethical Hacker, CISSP, etc.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Client Office (MD88)