Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Research Scientist, Indigenous Communities (REMOTE ROLE)
ICF is a mission-driven company filled with people who care deeply about improving the lives of others and making the world a better place. Our core values include Embracing Difference; we seek candidates who are passionate about building a culture that encourages, embraces, and hires dimensions of difference. Diversity & Inclusion, is simply who we are and what we do.
Research Scientist, Indigenous Communities
Come make an important difference in a mission to enhance the organizational and programmatic capacity of organizations in American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities to support victims of crime.
The Justice, Workforce, Preparedness, and Community Development (JWPCD) Research and Evaluation Team has a broad portfolio of projects focusing on criminal justice, victimization, and community-based practices and policies. The team is seeking a Research Scientist to work on evaluating training, technical assistance, and resources supporting American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities and management of federal awards. You will be responsible for leading key tasks, reviewing and overseeing the work of more junior staff, and assisting in the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data through reports, briefs, presentations, and other dissemination modes.
This is a mid-level position for a researcher with experience collaborating with Indigenous communities in research and looking to grow existing project management experience, statistical analysis, and business development skills in a fast-paced environment. You will contribute to the development of innovative, high-quality products and services to support ICF’s projects and partnerships in Indian Country and throughout Alaska.
What you will do
- Manage complex tasks, including oversight and mentoring of junior staff.
- Maintain adherence to project timelines and deliverables.
- Conduct needs assessments and collect primary data through surveys, interviews, or focus groups and secondary data collection from external databases and public sources.
- Manage databases and clean/process data using statistical analysis software such as SPSS, Stata, or SAS.
- Analyze primary and secondary data using intermediate statistical methods.
- Teach/oversee entry-level staff in foundational quantitative methods such as programming in statistical software and basic statistical analyses.
- Contribute to writing reports, briefs, and other technical reports.
- Present at select national conferences.
- Supervise junior researchers on adherence to ICF policy, provided mentorship, offer insights on professional growth, and oversee technical responsibilities.
- BA degree criminal justice, sociology, psychology, statistics, economics, or related field (unofficial transcript required with application)
- Minimum of 5 years years of experience working on victim service assistance issues in American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- This position requires an OJP security clearance due to the handling of personally identifiable information (PII). Candidate must currently hold or be able to obtain clearance.
- Equivalency allowed is MA/MS or equivalent degree in criminal justice, sociology, psychology, statistics, economics, or related field , with a minimum of 3 years of experience working on victim service assistance issues in American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
- Experience or knowledge related to implementation science, training and technical assistance, victim services/victimology, juvenile justice, human trafficking, corrections, and/or other criminal justice areas in Indian Country and in Alaska Native villages
- Experience managing complex tasks with little oversight.
- Working knowledge of statistical analyses and software (i.e., SPSS, SAS, and Stata).
- Experience with data collection, administering surveys, interviews, focus groups, or structured observations in multiple settings.
- Superior technical writing skills including editing ability (writing sample is required with application).
- Proficient in MS applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Prior research experience with Indigenous communities.
- Experience and ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and partners.
- Oversee the transcription and coding of qualitative data.
- Strong skills in SPSS and writing analytic code (programming/syntax).
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet stringent deadlines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills including professionalism and a collaborative attitude. Candidate should enjoy and be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, prioritize, work independently, and manage multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and eager to learn.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement.
Pay Range - There are multiple factors that are considered in determining final pay for a position, including, but not limited to, relevant work experience, skills, certifications and competencies that align to the specified role, geographic location, education and certifications as well as contract provisions regarding labor categories that are specific to the position. The pay range for this position is:
$68,325.00 - $116,152.00
Nationwide Remote Office (US99)