Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Research Consultant - Marine and Environmental Policy
We are looking for a Researcher/Consultant to join our growing environmental and marine policy practice. The environment practice works extensively for UK Government departments (e.g. Defra) and agencies as well as the European Commission (e.g. DG Environment) and its agencies as well as NGOs and industry associations. Much of our work involves economic analysis and evaluation of public policies, programmes and contexts. It tackles issues at the top of today’s policy agenda across:
- Biodiversity and natural capital
- Protected areas and conservation
- Green and blue economy
- Environmental governance
- Agriculture and fisheries
- Food safety, nutrition and health
We are working on many of today’s most important policy issues, providing robust evidence and strategic support. Examples include:
In the UK, we have been providing Defra with multi-year evaluation services to support implementation of a programme to enable an acceleration of offshore wind development; undertaking multiple research projects to support the setting of biodiversity targets, as required under the Environment Bill; and designing a framework to support the MMO evaluate their approach to setting management measures in marine protected areas.
In Europe we have been undertaking research on the economic benefits of marine protected areas, to support the European Commission’s blue growth policies; leading the EU’s Business and Biodiversity Platform, providing a forum to work with and help businesses integrate natural capital and biodiversity considerations into business practices; and assessing how marine habitat and species assessments can be more harmonised under the Birds and Habitats Directives and the MSFD.
From day one, you will contribute to a diverse range of assignments by undertaking qualitative and quantitative research and analysis that impacts directly on public policy decisions. In parallel, we will provide you with the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills further through excellent training and development support, structured career guidance systems, our mentoring programme, communities of practice and line management arrangements.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Undertake social and economic research and analysis
- Prepare descriptive and analytical reports
- Support the coordination of projects and tasks
- Support the preparation of compelling proposals
- Pursue business development opportunities and build networks and partnerships
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Degree, Master’s degree or PhD in relevant discipline
- Demonstrable interest and experience in environmental and marine policy
- Strong qualitative, quantitative and analytical skills
- Skills in economic analysis and appraisal, impact assessment, evaluation and/or environmental economics
- Good understanding of UK and/or European policy-making process (experience of working on assignments for the UK Government or European Commission would be an advantage)
- Relevant research, consultancy or professional experience of at least 3 years within the context of UK or EU public policy in a related field
- Business development experience, including contributing to proposals / grant applications, would be an advantage
- Advanced computer user skills (Microsoft applications)
- Exceptional writing skills
- Excellent oral and written English; fluency in at least one additional European language an advantage
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills and self-motivation
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
Working at ICF:
ICF (www.icf.com) is a global consultancy firm. In Europe, we have offices in the UK (London, Plymouth, Birmingham) and Belgium (Brussels). Our core business is to help governments, regulators and international institutions solve complex problems. We offer critical insight and rigorous analytical techniques to deliver innovative solutions and thought-provoking analyses for our clients.
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative and committed ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to assist our clients and benefit their constituencies. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication and opportunity for growth.
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are committed to creating a culture where we embrace our differences in ideas and identities. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals.
The benefits of joining ICF:
Our people at ICF are our most important asset, so we invest in them from the moment they arrive. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well.
We offer a hybrid working policy, which will provide you with the flexibility to collaborate in the office, as well as in the comfort of your own home, ensuring you are able to successfully deliver the requirements of your role.
To support you, our employee wellbeing hub is designed to provide highly personalised support across a comprehensive range of wellbeing issues, such as mind, body, finances, community, career programs and HR support.
We enjoy celebrating success, which is why we have a competitive recognition program called ‘You Matter’, which awards points as a ‘thank you’ for your work achievements. These can be spent on a large variety of high-quality items, as well as online or high-street vouchers, all with zero tax payable by the employee.
ICF also offers a range of competitive benefits, which include:
- Single Private Medical Insurance cover with no restrictions on existing conditions.
- Dental insurance and an online GP service.
- 25 days annual leave, plus UK bank holidays (annual leave increases with years of service).
- Pension scheme with 5% of salary employer contribution
- Life assurance paying 4x annual salary and Group Income Protection paying 66% of salary for up to 5 years if you are off work on long-term sick.
- Enhanced parental leave policies, enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption, and shared parental pay.
London Riverscape (GB75)