Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Research Associate, Justice & Victim Services
ICF is a mission-driven company filled with people who care deeply about improving the lives of others and making the world a better place. Our core values include Embracing Difference; we seek candidates who are passionate about building a culture that encourages, embraces, and hires dimensions of difference. Diversity & Inclusion, is simply who we are and what we do.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, JUSTICE & VICTIM SERVICES
The Justice, Workforce, Preparedness and Community Development (JWPCD) Research and Evaluation Team has a broad portfolio of projects focusing on criminal justice practices and policies, victim services, and victimization. The team is seeking a Research Associate to work on multiple projects focused on victim services, human trafficking, and juvenile justice, including engaging with victims, youth, and Indigenous communities. Under the supervision of senior researchers, you will be responsible for leading key tasks, assisting in the evaluation of and training and technical assistance center activities, serving as a project coordinator, reviewing and overseeing the work of entry level staff. This is a junior position for a criminal justice researcher looking to build project management, statistical analysis, and business development skills in a fast-paced environment. Research Associates contribute to the development of innovative, high quality products and services in support for multiple projects. This role will require some travel (approximately 5% nationwide).
This position is based in ICF's metro-accessible HQ building in Reston, Virginia. Wiehle–Reston East Metro station is on the Silver Line. Other ICF office locations are optional. HYBRID role with some days work from home schedule will be supported.
- Support, coordinate, and lead research tasks, including oversight of other project staff when relevant.
- Perform background research on specified topics and synthesize material in the form of literature and systematic reviews.
- Collect primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys.
- Manage databases and clean/process data using statistical analysis software such as SPSS, Stata, or SAS.
- Analyze primary and secondary data using basic and advanced statistical methods (e.g., regression and other statistical modeling).
- Mentor other project staff in foundational quantitative methods such as programming in statistical software and basic statistical analyses.
- Write sections of evaluation reports and policy/practitioner briefs.
- Present findings to clients, experts in the field, and at national conferences.
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice, sociology, statistics, economics, or related field (unofficial transcript required with application).
- 3+ years of work experience in applied social science research, with multiple past projects related to criminal justice topics. Master's degree with no experience will be accepted.
- US citizenship required by federal government contract.
- This position requires a Public Trust security clearance. Applicants will be subject to government security investigation to obtain clearance prior to the start date.
- Experience or knowledge related to victim services/victimology, juvenile justice, and/or other criminal justice areas.
- Previous experience managing complex tasks with little oversight.
- Demonstrated mastery and work experience (outside the classroom) related to statistical analyses and software (i.e., SPSS, SAS, and Stata) with strong skills in programming/syntax.
- Prior experience with data collection, administering surveys, interviews, focus groups, or structured observations in multiple settings.
- Superior technical writing skills including editing ability (writing sample is required with application).
- Proficient in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Requires some travel (approximately 5% nationwide).
- Master’s degree in criminal justice, sociology, statistics, economics, or related field preferred
- Experience managing research tasks for small or mid-sized projects (less than $500,000).
- Prior research experience with vulnerable populations, especially victims and youth.
- Experience in consulting or other similarly fast-paced, demanding environments.
- Experience and ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and partners.
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet stringent deadlines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision making capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills including professionalism and a collaborative attitude. Candidate should enjoy and be able to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, prioritize, work independently, and manage multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and eager to learn.
Working at ICF
ICF is a global advisory and technology services provider, but we’re not your typical consultants. We combine unmatched expertise with cutting-edge technology to help clients solve their most complex challenges, navigate change, and shape the future. We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are committed to creating a culture where we embrace our differences in ideas and identities. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. Learn more about what we dohttps://www.icf.com/ and our commitment to inclusionhttps://www.icf.com/company/about/diversity-inclusion.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement.
Pay Range - There are multiple factors that are considered in determining final pay for a position, including, but not limited to, relevant work experience, skills, certifications and competencies that align to the specified role, geographic location, education and certifications as well as contract provisions regarding labor categories that are specific to the position. The pay range for this position is:
$64,372.00 - $109,432.00
Reston, VA (VA30)