Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Quality Control Field Consultant- Kenya
Period of Performance: Between February 2023 and September 2023
Level of Effort: 115 days
USAID’s Bureau for Resilience and Food Security (RFS) leads USAID’s efforts to address hunger, poverty, malnutrition, and water insecurity through programming that supports sustainable gains, positioning partner countries to achieve self-reliance. Monitoring, evaluation, analysis, and learning are used to track progress against targets, identify program effects and pathways to change, provide evidence to guide investments, and strengthen partners’ data systems and data use. Population-based surveys (PBS) conducted in priority areas of focus countries are central to monitoring and understanding results under the initiatives that RFS supports.
USAID has awarded a 5-yr contract—Surveys for Monitoring in Resilience and Food Security (SMRFS)— to ICF to support the collection and use of high-quality PBS data in RFS priority countries; strengthen population-based data collection, analysis and use capacities of local organizations; and support the development of a range of innovative approaches to streamline data collection and improve data quality. Surveys conducted under SMRFS are expected to be implemented in 25 countries, including Kenya.
Quality Control Field Consultant Scope of Work
The Quality Control Field Consultant will support the implementation of the Kenya 2023 Feed the Future Phase Two ZOI Midline and RFZ Baseline Indicator Assessment. The Consultant will provide support for training and reporting, and perform field work monitoring during data collection across study sites in 18 counties in Kenya. The expectation is that the Consultant will maintain consistent communication with ICF about issues and concerns related to field activities in Kenya in order to allow timely and appropriate actions to ensure high quality data collection. Specific activities to be performed by the consultant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review survey questionnaires, manuals and training materials
- Participate in the training of trainers (TOT)
- Participate in the CAPI pretest alongside the Kenya Bureau of Statistics (KNBS), the in-country data collection partner, and contribute to the preparation of the CAPI pretest report.
- In collaboration with KNBS, co-lead the training of interviewers, field supervisors and quality control and support (QCS) team members
- Support the implementation of the survey pilot, attend the debrief, and contribute to the preparation of the pilot report
- Conduct weekly field monitoring visits to observe interviews and provide bi-weekly oral and written updates to ICF on field observations
- Participate in meetings with KNBS and ICF during the preparation of survey activities and throughout data collection
- Proactively identify and notify ICF of actions on the ground which may negatively impact survey data quality
- Respond to inquiries from ICF upon request
- Perform other ad hoc duties as requested e.g., facilitate on the ground communication with the Kenya and East Africa (KEA) Mission and other stakeholders
- Master’s degree in demography, public health, statistics, survey methodology, nutrition, epidemiology, economics, or a related field
- 7+ years of experience in designing, managing, or implementing population-based household surveys
- Experience working in Kenya or other east African countries
- Experience working with implementing organizations, government officials, donors, and other stakeholders in low- and middle-income countries
- Experience working with KNBS
- Experience conducting quality control and support for large-scale projects
- Ability to deliver high-quality presentations and written reports
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Ability to present orally for diverse audiences
- Ability to work both independently and with multi-disciplinary teams
- Fluent spoken/written English
- PhD in demography, public health, statistics, survey methodology, nutrition, epidemiology, economics
- Experience conducting surveys in in low- and middle-income countries
- Knowledge of and experience in survey design for complex surveys and complex survey data analysis
- Experience using computer assisted personal interviewing (CAPI) tools
- Understanding of applied statistical packages, preferably STATA, SPSS, or SAS to review analytical outputs
- Experience managing projects
- Relevant experience and a broad familiarity with subject matter related to food security, gender, poverty reduction, nutrition, agriculture development, natural resources management, resilience, HIV, and vulnerable populations
- Fluent spoken Kiswahili and one of the following languages: Luo, Luhya, Somali, Kamba, Borana, Samburu/Maa, Turkana, Taita, Kisii
- The Consultant will work closely with ICF Country Lead and KNBS staff and will report to the ICF Country Lead
- ICF will provide the Consultant with any relevant project-related documents, and information.
- The Consultant will abide by the SMRFS survey policy and procedures, including taking the data confidentiality pledge.
- Outputs of this agreement will be the property of ICF. Therefore, the Consultant cannot distribute or publish any material, without prior written consent of ICF’s Project Director.
- Airline travel arrangements will be made by ICF’s travel department at economy class fares. Per diem and local lodging can be invoiced to ICF.
- Consultant will be expected to submit weekly timesheets (template to be provided by ICF)
Contact: Please send CV to Johanna Beduhn, International Survey Manager (Kenya), International Health and Development Team, Email: email@example.com
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
Kenya Remote Office (KE99)