Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Public Health Senior Research Scientist REMOTE
ICF is a rapidly growing, entrepreneurial, multi-faceted consulting company, seeking a full-time Senior Research Scientist. This role will be part of our team working in support of CDC, NIH, SAMHSA, HRSA, private and nonprofit organizations, and state governments on a range of ongoing research and evaluation projects in the field of public health. Our portfolio of projects includes the design and implementation of applied research and evaluation studies, such as program/policy evaluations, performance monitoring, systematic literature reviews and landscape analyses, and treatment and cost effectiveness studies. Our studies involve the analysis of primary and extant data to understand relationship, process, outcome, and impact.
A successful senior research scientist at ICF must be able to conceptualize and lead study methods, apply appropriate quantitative and qualitative techniques for data analysis, and synthesize findings from various sources for a range of audiences. A solid grounding and experience in public health, evaluation science, social science, or behavioral science is necessary. Experience in any of the following content areas is a plus: substance misuse, suicide prevention, adverse childhood experiences, school health, global health, emergency preparedness and response, and/or health disparities elimination.
*This role can be 100% remote, sitting anywhere within the US. * Please submit a writing sample along with your application*
What you’ll be doing:
Senior Research Scientist assignments will include one or more of the following:
- Performing background research on specified topics and synthesizing material in the form of annotated bibliographies and literature reviews
- Contributing to the design of and implementation of research and evaluation plans
- Leading teams in collecting primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys; participate in site visits
- Performing or managing research activities, such as: data collection instrument and protocol design and data coding and management, including data cleaning and validation
- Performing quantitative data analysis using statistical analysis software such as R, SPSS, SAS, or Stata and/or coding and analysis of qualitative data using software programs such as MAXQDA
- Coordinating and managing the development of deliverables, such as reports (e.g., writing drafts of methods, approaches, and findings), presentations, summary briefs, and data visualizations (e.g., graphs, charts, infographics) to communicate study findings to professional and lay audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, public policy, behavioral/social sciences, or related field
- 5+ years of applied social science research and evaluation experience (equivalent experience would be a Master’s degree and 3+ years of applied social science research and evaluation experience)
- Demonstrated success adhering to project timelines and quality standards
- Demonstrated experience designing protocols for and facilitating primary data collection through surveys, interviews, and/or focus groups
- Experience securing secondary data from external databases and public sources
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing qualitative and quantitative information from a variety of sources
- Experience leading report writing and other technical writings (include writing samples)
- Experience communicating effectively with all levels of internal staff, as well as clients and their partners and constituents
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is essential
- Demonstrated experience using data collection programs (e.g., SurveyMonkey) and statistical software (i.e., R, SPSS, SAS, Stata, MAXQDA) for data analysis, preferably with strong skills in programming/syntax
- Demonstrated experience designing or leading scoping reviews, landscape analyses, and/or systematic literature reviews
- Experience in consulting or other similarly demanding environments
- Experience conducting research or evaluation in partnership with health departments or community-based organizations
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and complex tasks with little oversight or direction
- Experience mentoring of junior team members
- Prior research, evaluation, and/or lived experience with communities experiencing health disparities
- Candidates should also be well organized and detail-oriented
- Be able to work independently to solve problems creatively and work effectively with teams
- Be able to manage their time across multiple projects and tasks
- Be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing; and be able to lead and mentor junior staff
Technologies/tools you’ll use:
- R, Python, SPSS, SAS or Stata
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Georgia Remote Office (GA99)