Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Public Health Research/Evaluation Specialist
ICF seeks a Public Health Research/Evaluation Specialist to support ongoing research, evaluation, and training and technical assistance (TTA) projects associated with the Chronic Disease Prevention and Community Health Promotion Portfolio in the Public Health line of business, Atlanta, GA. The selected candidate will be responsible for performing key tasks and assisting in the performance of program research, evaluation and TTA by gathering information, conducting site observations, conducting interviews, analyzing data, supporting grantees of public health programs with implementing and evaluating their programs, and helping to disseminate information through reports, presentations, and manuscripts.
At ICF you will have an opportunity to apply your academic knowledge and prior experience to gain exposure to major projects, interact with experts in the field, and build specific content knowledge and consulting skills. Candidates must have the ability to support: (1) research and evaluation projects (conceptualize problems, implement appropriate study methods, apply appropriate quantitative and qualitative techniques to analyses); and/or (2) training and technical assistance projects (design and implement effective training activities, work with national and state level organizations, identify and/or develop key implementation resources). The successful candidate also must be able to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with internal colleagues, clients and their constituents. Candidates must have a solid grounding in public health, evaluation science, social science, or behavioral science.
Experience in any chronic disease prevention and community health promotion content areas is preferred, particularly related to health equity promotion. Understanding of policy, health systems, and built environmental approaches to address community health is preferred. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented self-starter who can work independently to solve problems creatively and work effectively within a team, taking direction from others while also contributing to overall project goals. Candidates must be able to synthesize qualitative and quantitative information from a variety of sources and juggle multiple tasks, and at times converging deadlines. Candidates must also interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
This is an excellent opportunity for an early career professional such as a recent MPH graduate with some project experience.
To apply, please submit your resume and a writing sample.
Safety of our employees are our top priority, due to current COVID-19 safety measures, employees who can work from home, are required to do so. Once it is safe to resume standard practices of commuter travel and social interaction per government guidelines, we expect employees to maintain an office presence as required by projects needs and management leadership.
Primary responsibilities for this position will involve performing assignments related to various projects, under the direction of senior leaders. Assignments typically include the following.
- Participate in developing and implementing evaluation plans for public health programs focused on chronic disease prevention and community health promotion, often with an emphasis on health equity.
- Conduct literature reviews, screening abstracts, extracting findings from literature, and translating research findings.
- Collect primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys.
- Lead and/or participate in site visits and structured observations; some travel may be required (after resolution of COVID-19).
- Perform qualitative research activities, such as design of interview and focus group protocols, coding data, performing analysis using thematic coding and qualitative software programs such as MAXQDA.
- Write IRB and OMB package materials; contribute to successful IRB and OMB approvals.
- Develop study reports, presentations, or manuscripts, writing drafts of study background, methods, results, and recommendations.
- Communicate study findings in visually appealing brief reports, such as with infographics, graphs, and charts.
- Engage with client-funded grantees to support implementation or evaluation of program goals and performance measures.
- Master's degree in public health, public policy, behavioral/social sciences, or related field required.
- 1 year of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Experience in report writing and other technical writing. (Include writing samples.)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Good verbal and written communication are essential in this fast-paced client-oriented environment.
- Experience conducting research or evaluation in partnership with health departments or community-based organizations is highly desired.
- Knowledge of statistical software such as SPSS, SAS, Stata, or R to conduct quantitative data analyses, including descriptive data summaries and inferential statistics.
- Experience using MAXQDA, ATLAS.ti, NVivo, or other qualitative data analysis software.
- Experience in consulting or other similarly fast-paced, demanding environments.
- Superior writing skills including expertise in independently developing written products such as study reports, briefs, and presentations. (Writing samples required.)
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Superior interpersonal skills including professionalism, courtesy, willingness to support others, and a cooperative attitude.
- Candidate should be able to work efficiently and effectively with little supervision, both independently and as a member of a diverse team.
- Ability to be flexible, prioritize, and manage multiple activities in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Atlanta, GA (GA18)