Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Public Health Research Scientist
ICF seeks a Research Scientist to support its ongoing research and evaluation projects in the field of public health for clients such as the CDC, NIH, SAMHSA, HRSA, private and nonprofit organizations, and state governments. Our portfolio of work includes the design and implementation of applied research and evaluation studies, such as program/policy evaluations, performance monitoring, systematic literature reviews and landscape analyses, and treatment and cost effectiveness studies. Our studies involve the analysis of primary and extant data to understand relationship, process, outcome, and impact.
This is a great opportunity to be able to contribute to the design and implementation of appropriate study methods, apply appropriate quantitative and qualitative techniques for data analysis, and synthesize findings from various sources for a range of audiences. A solid grounding and experience in public health, evaluation science, social science, or behavioral science is necessary. Experience in any of the following content areas is a plus: substance misuse, suicide prevention, adverse childhood experiences, school health, global health, emergency preparedness and response, and/or health disparities elimination.
*This role can be 100% remote, sitting anywhere within the US. * Along with your application please also submit a writing sample*
What you’ll be doing:
With the supervision of more experienced researchers, Research Scientist assignments will include one or more of the following:
- Performing background research on specified topics and synthesizing information in the form of annotated bibliographies and literature reviews.
- Contributing to the design and development of research and evaluation plans.
- Collecting primary data through conducting interviews, focus groups, or surveys; participating in site visits.
- Performing quantitative research activities, such as: survey design; data coding and management, including data cleaning and validation; and data analysis.
- Performing qualitative research activities, such as: design and implementation of interview and focus group protocols; conducting thematic coding of qualitative data.
- Performing quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis using statistical analysis software such as R, SPSS, SAS, Stata, and/or MAXQDA.
- Contributing to the development of deliverables, such as reports (e.g., writing drafts of methods, approaches, and findings), presentations, summary briefs, and data visualizations (e.g., graphs, charts, infographics) to communicate study findings to professional and lay audiences
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Behavioral/Social Sciences, or related scientific or technical discipline
- 3+ years of applied social science research and evaluation experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Master's degree in public health, public policy, behavioral/social sciences, or related field with applied social science research and evaluation experience
- Experience conducting research or evaluation in partnership with health departments or community-based organizations
- Demonstrated experience conducting literature reviews for background research and/or systematic reviews, scoping reviews, or landscape analyses
- Experience with primary data collection through surveys, interviews, and/or focus groups and with securing secondary data from external databases and public sources
- Demonstrated experience using data collection programs (e.g., SurveyMonkey) and statistical software (i.e., R, SPSS, SAS, Stata, MAXQDA) for data analysis, preferably with strong skills in programming/syntax
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing qualitative and quantitative information from a variety of sources
- Experience contributing to report writing and other technical writing
- Experience managing projects and/or tasks with little oversight or direction
- Prior research, evaluation and/or lived experience with communities experiencing health disparities
- Experience in consulting or other similarly demanding environments
- Candidates should be organized and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated success adhering to project timelines and deliverables
- Can work independently to solve problems creatively
- Work effectively on teams and be able to manage their time across multiple projects and tasks
- Effectively communicate verbally and in writing
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Washington, DC (DC02)