Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Public Health IT Program Manager - Rockville, MD or Fairfax, VA
ICF is growing and we seek a Public Health IT Program Manager to support our expanding portfolio of work with Federal clients in Public Health at CDC and NIH. This is an important role at the intersection of technology and public health to deliver modernized systems and new applications which enable research within the field of public health.
For this role we seek an individual with a proven track record of program and project management experience including delivering quality, minimizing risk, and enabling innovation. Experience in external-facing roles with clients at CDC and NIH (e.g., headquarters, centers, divisions) and industry partners is strongly preferred.
As a Public Health IT Program Manager, you will use your skills in project management and delivery and your experience and track record of success in leading complex, large-scale technology modernization initiatives, preferably within cloud-based environments. You will manage a portfolio of projects focused on data collection, management, and analysis. This role is a blend of subject matter expertise, thought leadership, business acumen and includes some business development responsibilities.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead complex, large-scale technology modernization initiatives, typically within cloud-based environments. Actively monitor project risks and scope creep to identify potential issues and propose solutions to mitigate them.
- Lead large, diverse project teams during normal day-to-day operations as well as during emergency response events (e.g., infectious disease outbreaks); may require occasional oversight of after-hours or weekend work.
- Develop technical solutions for clients in Health and Human Services, including but not limited to CDC and NIH.
- Work closely with client stakeholders to identify, assess, and resolve project issues. Mitigate issues and facilitate proactive problem solving with both internal stakeholders and external clients.
- Prepare project plans, cost, schedule, and performance metrics utilizing industry-standard project management processes and frameworks (e.g., PMI); manage project budgets, timelines, resourcing, and work quality.
- Develop opportunities, staff project teams, oversee work for clients.
- Own and manage all aspects of the project lifecycle from assessment, requirements definition, development, quality assurance, deployment, and operations and maintenance.
- Manage project budgets, timelines, resourcing, and work quality.
Basic Skills and Experience you will need:
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in management consulting, IT management, information systems, technology consulting, and management reporting systems in public health and/or health research field.
- Successful delivery of IT programs and projects supporting IT and public health programs including cloud-based environment and proven technical expertise supporting complex software development programs.
- Working knowledge of agile (e.g., Scrum, Kanban) and scaled agile methodologies (e.g., SAFe); specialized knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) frameworks used to manage risks and issues unique to complex technology projects.
- Ability to prepare project plans, cost, schedule, and performance metrics utilizing industry-standard project management processes and frameworks (e.g., PMI).
- Own and manage all aspects of the project lifecycle from assessment, requirements definition, development, quality assurance, deployment, and operations and maintenance. Manage project budgets, timelines, resourcing, and work quality.
- Vendor & Contract Management – experienced with driving cost optimization opportunities within existing and proposed vendor contracts, assessing/communicating vendor effectiveness, and implementing efforts to maximize vendor results.
- Governance, Risk, and Compliance – experienced with establishing a foundation (roles, responsibilities, methodology, processes, meeting cadences, etc.) for optimizing risk/issue management and compliance to defined program guardrails.
- Training & Enablement – experience defining a strategy to drive increased domain knowledge and self-sufficiency throughout an organization.
- Finance Management – ability to develop Earned Value Management (EVM) reports, review invoices/purchase orders, develop/manage budget/forecast, develop Analyses of Alternatives (AoA), Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), create a business case which demonstrates the Return on Investment (ROI) achieved by moving forward with the cloud modernization strategy.
- DevOps Optimization/Management – the ability to structure/lead an effort to enable DevOps optimization.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Public Health, or related field required.
- Current client relationships in the Public Health / Federal Healthcare and IT sectors including CDC and/or NIH.
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or Certified SAFe Agilist (SA) Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), Six Sigma, or Certified Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Master of Public Health (MPH), Master of Business Administration (MBA), or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of business intelligence, analytics, and cloud systems.
- Experience with the HHS Enterprise Performance Life Cycle (EPLC) framework.
- Demonstrated experience in technical product selection, technical design, and practical implementation of IT solutions.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Proven leadership ability in a complex Federal environment.
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)