Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Organic Environmental Chemist
Organic Environmental Chemist - Lead
Interested in making a difference to the planet? Want to work with a team of Environmental Chemists who care about the protection of human health and the environment? Are you seeking broad exposure to environmental remediation and Superfund related cleanup processes with interaction with EPA on a regional level?
ICF is seeking an Organic Environmental Chemist to join our team to support an EPA contract, the Environmental Services Assistance Team (ESAT), in Corvallis, Oregon. This team provides technical, analytical, and quality assurance (QA) support, primarily to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Superfund Program to facilitate identification, assessment, regulation, and remediation of environmental hazards which may pose a threat to human health or the environment. The team performs soil, water, air, waste, and tissue sample analysis for chemical contaminants using EPA-approved methods.
- Lead a team of 3 to 5 Chemists and Technicians providing sample analysis and quality assurance and laboratory operational support
- Provide technical input to and technical oversight of the work performed
- Schedule, track and report assignments and work products
- Supervision of technical staff including personnel selection and evaluation
- Client contact and technical presentation occasionally required
- Ensure compliance with all technical, quality assurance, and safety requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience performing or managing organic analysis of environmental samples using CLP, SW-846 and other EPA methods
- 2+ years of experience leading environmental analysis group and/or laboratory of comparable size
- Proficiency with data acquisition, instrument reporting and Laboratory Information Management systems
- Experience in a NELAC-certified, ISO 17025, DOD or DOE environmental laboratory is required
- Experience in organic chemistry
- Basic computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat) and familiarity with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMSs).
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to think critically.
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- MUST BE ABLE TO PASS an EPA background check to obtain access to US federal property.
- Recent “hands on” experience operating GC, GC/MS, LC/MS/MS, HPLC, or similar systems including full use of applicable data acquisition and reporting software
- Recent experience with quality assurance program implementation
- Recent experience with analytical method development for environmental samples
- Experience with emerging contaminants such as PFAS/PFOA
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Portland, OR (OR08)