Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Managing Consultant - Employment and Social Policy
If you enjoy programme management, are interested in how the European Union operates and enjoy working in a fast-paced, multi-national environment then we may have the role you are looking for.
ICF is a major supplier of professional services to the European Commission. We conduct research and support the delivery of a variety of EU-funded programmes on a wide range of issues.
We are looking for a Managing Consultant to contribute to the support we provide to the European Commission in the areas of employment and social policy.
The Managing Consultant will oversee the day-to-day management of specific activities or strands of work, reporting to the Contract Managers and Contract Directors. There will also be the opportunity to contribute to ICF’s wider portfolio of implementation and research / evaluation contracts.
We would expect Managing Consultants to have at least 8 years’ professional experience. This experience should be combined with a familiarity with EU policy areas, and particularly in employment, social inclusion and the European Structural Funds. Any experience should also be underpinned by strong project / programme management skills, ideally backed up by relevant training and / or certifications.
- Keep abreast with social and employment policy at EU-level and build and maintain networks to key stakeholders, incl. policy makers in Member States, social partners, civil society organisations, etc.
- Manage the day-to-day implementation of European programmes or parts of such programmes, covering both the content and organisational aspects
- Plan and manage the work of large, multi-national and multi-disciplinary teams
- Set-up, monitor and manage large and complex budgets, with an understanding of different cost models
- Oversee risk management and contractual compliance in line with ICF systems, clients’ terms and other requirements
- Design and facilitate mutual learning events, thematic workshops, conferences, etc.
- Oversee and quality assure written outputs produced by other team members and experts, such as event reports, toolkits, guidance notes, background papers, good practice fiches, evaluations, ad-hoc studies, etc.
- Oversee and quality assure key activities and deliverables, including the: Organisation of meetings and event and management of support services and other activities relevant to each programme.
- Develop, implement and continuously improve tools, systems and procedures for effective programme management, as well as coordination across the wider team and business
- Prepare and deliver presentations to internal and external audiences
- Line management, training, development and mentoring of staff
- Contribute to business development activities and other consultancy tasks, as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 8 years of professional experience. Experience in programme / project management, ideally backed up by relevant training and / or certifications, such as Prince 2, PMP, PMI, etc.
- Experience in the field of European employment and social policy deliberation
- Experience in the design and facilitation of events and meetings, using participatory methods
- Experience in managing multi-national and multi-disciplinary teams of more than 5 people
- Experience of managing European programmes or component activities
- Experience in quality control of delivered services, client orientation and project conflict resolution experience
- Knowledge of communications methods and tools in the context of disseminating outputs
- Ability to self-organise, prioritise and manage multiple work strands and teams in parallel under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- High level of ability and confidence to perform tasks with minimum supervision
- Ability to work flexibly to meet client and organisational priorities and needs
- Strong commitment to and interest in the above-mentioned policy areas
- Sound research and business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information
- Excellent communication skills, including experience with presenting key methodologies and concepts to clients
- Excellent verbal, written, analytical and presentation skills in English - additional European languages an advantage
- Commitment to the progression and development of junior and other staff
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as clients and sub-contractors
- Ability to work within multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams spread across several countries
- Willingness to travel within Europe, as required
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
Brussels, Belgium (BE75)