Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Lead Architect, Environmental Modeling
ICF seeks a Lead Architect to support the growth of our expanding Regulatory, Policy and Economics practice, with a focus on environmental policy and programs. Your modeling expertise and demonstrated ability to develop and apply sound objective analyses will inform policy decisions and help improve program effectiveness.
As Lead Architect, you will lead or support the development of complex models used to estimate the costs, benefits, and impacts of regulatory and non-regulatory programs. You will work closely with our project teams to determine which platforms, languages, frameworks, libraries, tools, and other technologies should be used in the development of each model. You will be leading development teams in the design, development, and implementation of models. You will also interact and collaborate with other technical leaders across ICF to grow and expand our environmental policy portfolio with current and new clients (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Transportation, other federal, state, and local agencies, and select non-governmental organizations).
For this role, we are looking for someone who has superb programming skills, is collaborative, and has a demonstrated ability to develop creative modeling solutions to address complex policy issues. In particular, the successful candidate will have experience developing and applying models to inform policy development, including for estimating the costs, benefits, and distribution, and economic impacts of environmental policies.
We are a $1 billion+ global consulting provider and work across a range of industries to make the world a better place through deep domain expertise, innovative thinking, and technology. ICF offers a dynamic, progressive environment that requires adaptability, energy and active collaboration with everyone in the organization. ICF is a mission-driven company filled with people who care deeply about improving lives and making the world a better place. Our core values include embracing difference; we seek to build a culture that encourages, embraces, and is inclusive of all dimensions of difference. This is an outstanding opportunity to work with talented and passionate individuals and to continue to grow with a firm that believes in nurturing talent and developing long-term career success.
We are flexible on location, as you will be joining a team distributed across the Washington DC Metro area, Cambridge, MA, and other locations. Travel to client sites, ICF offices and conferences may be required depending on project and client needs.
What you will be doing
- Manage the design, development, and implementation of system models.
- Work with subject matter experts (e.g., economists, engineers, environmental scientists) to translate analytical needs and requirements into technical requirements for system models.
- Define and document model architecture and design.
- Guide the model development process through high-level decision making as well as take an active role in model development and coding.
- Coach and mentor programmers and other team members.
- Create and maintain design and code standards and ensure accuracy.
- Serve as a technical liaison between project managers, subject matter experts, developers, and clients
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, software architecture, or related field.
- 15 or more years of experience developing complex system models.
- 15 or more years of experience in geospatial modeling, environmental fate and transport modeling, or modeling the effects on human health of pollutant exposure.
- 10 or more years of experience developing data rich web applications.
- 5 or more years of experience working in cloud-based environments, including experience maintaining applications on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud (EC2, S3, RDS, CloudFront, CloudWatch, Lambda, Route53, IAM, VPC, API Gateway, etc.), Google Cloud Services, or Azure.
- Demonstrated success delivering modeling solutions to clients in a professional services / consulting setting or within a federal agency setting.
- Experience developing R scripts for data analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor analysts on code quality and efficiency.
- Positive, pragmatic, and collaborative style with an ability to develop others and be innovative in accomplishing goals in a large, complex, multi-cultural, and matrix environment.
- Knowledge of diverse modeling techniques applications in environmental, physical and health sciences, statistics, and economics.
- Experience with servers, Messaging & Streaming: Tomcat, RabbitMQ, Apache Kafka
- Experience with data interchange formats and technologies (JSON & XML), including creation/consumption of REST services.
- Experience with relational and non-relational database platforms, such as SQL (e.g., Postgres, MySQL) and NoSQL (e.g., MongoDB).
- Experience with software version control systems (e.g., bitbucket).
- Experience with agile software development methodologies and testing frameworks.
- As this is a client-facing role, strong verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills are essential.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Pay Range - There are multiple factors that are considered in determining final pay for a position, including, but not limited to, relevant work experience, skills, certifications and competencies that align to the specified role, geographic location, education and certifications as well as contract provisions regarding labor categories that are specific to the position. The pay range for this position is
$121,041.00 - $205,770.00
Nationwide Remote Office (US99)