Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Junior Genetic and Rare Diseases (GARD) Information Specialist
ICF seeks a Tier 1 Information Specialists to support our National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) / Office of Rare Diseases Research (ORDR) client. ORDR coordinates and supports rare disease research, responds to research opportunities for rare diseases, and provides information on rare diseases. The GARD Contact Center serves as a key resource for patients with rare diseases, their caregivers, and healthcare providers involved in their care.
Position Summary:Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Specialists are responsible for answering phone calls and written inquiries received by the GARD Contact Center. These inquiries, received in English and Spanish, receive customized responses based on the needs of each patient. Tier 1 staff should be familiar with where to access rare disease information, disease-specific support organizations, financial and travel resources, navigation of the GARD website, ClinicalTrials.gov, and how to access resources related to the rare disease patient journey. They work closely with Tier 2 staff and should comfortable handing off more complex inquiries and those requiring more comprehensive assistance.
- Answer phone calls and written inquiries
- Provide customized responses using resources available in the GARD Knowledge Base
- Perform data entry in the GARD CRM (Salesforce supported)
- Effectively manage queue of call and email communications
- Document patient/customer interactions and respond to all requests within 5 business days
- Attend trainings to develop relevant knowledge and skills
- Perform other duties and functions as assigned
- Excellent customer service skills
- A friendly and professional demeanor
- Ability to effectively communicate via telephone and email with patients, caregivers, healthcare providers, and researchers
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and shift priority as directed
- Strong passion for the rare disease community
- Adaptable and responsive to different audiences
- Bachelor’s degree in science or related field
- 2 years prior experience in a customer service setting, preferably in a healthcare, advocacy, or patient/customer facing environment
- Bilingual preferred
- Availability to work afternoons
- Experience using Salesforce (or other customer management software)
- General computer skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Familiar with online tools for team communication (Slack, WebEx, Zoom, Teams)
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)