Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
International Greenhouse Gas Consultant (Arlington or virtual)
***This position could be located in Arlington, VA or virtually.***
We are looking for a Senior Managing Consultant who will provide leadership for a growing practice of work around international greenhouse gas (GHG) measurement, reporting, capacity building, and stakeholder engagement. The ideal candidate will also have a strong technical background and expertise, such that they can both manage and provide technical leadership on projects.
ICF is at the forefront of preparing leading-edge technical and policy analyses, identifying viable market solutions, building real-world management tools, and implementing programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In climate change and environmental markets, ICF has advised more than 30 governments and international institutions and served more than 60 companies in the FT Global 500. We develop emissions inventories and carbon footprints; conduct greenhouse gas mitigation policy analyses; assist clients with offset and carbon credit projects; support organizational sustainability; assess the performance of global programs (e.g., climate funds, multilateral development banks), and identify ways they could improve; and support federal, state, local, international, and private sector clients on analyses related to climate change impacts and vulnerabilities, among other service offerings. We offer our clients around the globe unparalleled analytical, policy, and business management services.
What you’ll be doing…
- Program Management and Execution: Drive successful execution of projects; understand clients’ current and emerging needs and deliver innovative and efficient services. Serve as project manager, task lead, or strategic advisor for a portfolio of projects. Develop and execute work plans, direct teams of support staff, and perform quality assurance for work products. The mix of projects and clients will depend on success and is expected to evolve over time. In total, approximately 80% of time will be devoted to project work at the onset.
- Business Development: Responsible for understanding emerging needs in the practice area, positioning ICF in key markets, particularly in international GHG accounting and mitigation, and developing creative solutions. Lead capture and proposal development for select opportunities, working closely with senior leadership and leveraging mid-level and junior staff for proposal support. Attend key industry events and enhance ICF’s reputational capital through publications, social media, etc. Collaborate with other ICF groups. Business development pursuits will include opportunities with USAID, other federal agencies working internationally, and other entities focusing on international climate and development.
- People Management and Development: Responsible for managing at 1-2 direct reports, including helping manage their workload, serving as a mentor, and growing their capacity and technical skills.
What you’ll need to have…
- Master’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Environmental or other Earth Sciences, International Development, Forestry, Land Use Management, Agricultural Sciences, Engineering, Biology, Public Policy, or related subjects.
- 6+ years of relevant experience, at least 2 years of project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage cross-functional teams, staff resources, schedules, and budgets.
- Experience with GHG/carbon accounting and climate change mitigation, particularly related to international measurement, reporting, capacity building, and stakeholder engagement.
- Familiarity with carbon and GHG accounting, climate change mitigation, and/or sustainability
- Familiarity with standard reporting and disclosure protocols, such UNFCCC guidance and IPCC Guidelines.
- Experience building and managing client relationships.
- Proposal or grant writing experience
- Understanding of climate and energy regulations, policies and programs
- Experience working with and leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
Our Preferred Skills/Experience…
- Project management certifications (e.g., PMP)
- Experience in a consulting environment
- Experience conducting or facilitating training and organizing technical workshops
- Experience in greenhouse gas accounting, management, and reductions from agriculture, forestry, and land use practices.
- Understanding of climate and agriculture policies and programs
- Familiarity with climate-smart agriculture, forestry, and/or land use (including wetlands and mangroves) practices and technologies
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate complex climate information to non-scientists to inform decision making processes
- Organized, detail oriented, and the ability to prioritize and multi-task
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Arlington, VA (VA31)