Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Group Chief Technology Officer - Energy, Environment & Infrastructure - REMOTE USA
The CTO role in ICF’s Energy, Environment, and Infrastructure operating group will be unlike most CTO roles insofar as we are looking for a CTO candidate who is passionate about partnering with consultants to solve some of the most pressing challenges of our time. Technology is critical to our business as an enabler of accurate, timely, sophisticated, and efficient support to clients who are focused on decarbonization, disaster management, resilience, grid reliability, incentivizing sustainable behaviors, and tracking outcomes. The best possible candidate will bring his/her deep understanding of technology to bear on these inherently multidisciplinary and multisector challenges, drawing on subject matter expertise from within the organization.
The primary duties of the EEI Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will be to accelerate the evolution and expansion of current models, solutions, technology IP and technology-enabled services to an integrated and elevated core differentiator. The focus of the role is on technology as applied to advisory, planning, and implementation support in the energy, transportation, climate, water, and habitat conservation sectors. ICF’s internal IT systems are led by the Chief Information Officer (CIO), and the overall company strategy for technology enabled services and technology products is led by the Corporate Enterprise Technology Leader (CETL).
- Develop and continuously refine the technology strategy and strategic technology roadmap/plan for EEI and its Divisions; progress technology innovation to advance our position in the market.
- Identify complimentary technology-based offerings across divisions and the company and work with the Division Leads, peer CTOs, and Solution Architects to expand the application of other ICF IP or partner technology to new client problems and/or consolidate and optimize solutions and services, where applicable.
- Help identify and acquire new technologies and technology partners that are consistent with the EEI technology strategy.
- Lead M&A due diligence for technology-based acquisition targets and/or support M&A due diligence for acquisition targets with a technology component. In support of ICF M&A efforts, lead the assessment and due diligence of EEI target companies’ customer-facing technology assets and development processes.
- Participate on the Technology Leadership Council, and collaborate with the CIO and CETL, as needed.
Technology Workforce Development
- Advocate for tech workforce development. Working with HR and line organization leadership, build a more integrated and effective plan to grow and sustain/retain the technology workforce across EEI.
- Maintain an ongoing perspective on the key technology competencies that are critical to EEI’s technology strategy; ensure that this insight is incorporated in strategy and investment plans.
Technology-Enabled Service Delivery & Solutions
- Partner with technology teams to enhance technology capabilities, tools, and overall delivery.
- Work to create and deliver secure and robust technology solutions across multiple divisions and functions.
- Identify and solution technology challenges across divisions and locations, including system/software vulnerability evaluation and remediation.
- Collaborate across all our divisions to engage with our clients and identify technology solutions and/or delivery approaches that maximize return on investment for the group.
- Evaluate delivery approaches; and develop and support a collaborative and agile delivery approach that improves delivery pace, while maintaining a strong focus on both quality and scalability.
- Identify and evaluate emerging technology trends aligned with our skills, service offerings, and future needs of EEI client. Engage with clients and work with the Divisions to ensure our teams and clients are leveraging them when appropriate to innovate, enhance delivery, increase efficiency, reduce costs, and derive value.
Growth and Investments
- Assess and provide guidance on key Group technology development projects that will be reviewed in the Tech Investment Review process; and as part of the EEI strategic plan.
- Collaborate with CIO on infrastructure and toolsets. The CIO provides joint infrastructure and manages software tool licensing; the EEI CTO should collaborate with the CIO to ensure that improvements in technology processes are supported by appropriate common tools and infrastructure.
- Support selected BD efforts. When appropriate, provide expert support to major business development efforts to ensure EEI’s technology offerings are shown in the best light. Support EEI leaders in conceptualizing the best solutions and the role technology can/should play.
- Engage key clients on technology topics. In cooperation with subject matter experts and project managers, participate in design, implementation, and customer satisfaction check-ins with key clients relying on technology solutions.
- Raise Market Awareness. Represent EEI in dialogues with industry groups, federal and local government forums, academic institutions, etc. where technology is a core consideration—both advocating for EEI’s interests, making others aware of our capabilities, and gaining perspective on competitive offerings and emerging opportunities.
Minimum Skills and Required Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree from an accredited University.
- 15+ years of leadership experience in application software development, IT project management, and technology process governance.
- Deep knowledge of system architecture, technical design, and system and software development technology and methodologies.
- Experience in the professional services environment, as a consultant or in a technology strategy or solution delivery role in support of one or more of the following industries: climate, utility programs, energy efficiency, environmental planning, or transportation.
- Demonstrated expertise in software or technology solution product development and support. Has successfully led development and delivery of multiple complex business technology solutions into production that have achieved or surpassed business goals.
- Demonstrated experience shaping technology strategies at an enterprise level either in a client environment or within the candidate’s company itself.
- Master’s degree from an accredited University.
- Self-motivated individual that can seize opportunities to add value without a lot of direct supervision.
- Solid business judgement in the analysis of risks and reward dimensions.
- Ability to work productively and form relationships at all levels of the company from C-suite to entry level.
- Very strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to influence without direct authority, sometimes referred to in consulting as “soft hands”; an individual who can create “followership”.
- Ability to travel when needed to visit ICF locations.
- Intellectual curiosity and a commitment to continuous learning.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)