Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Geospatial Data Scientist
ICF has an opening for a Geospatial Data Scientist working primarily with The Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) Program’s Geospatial team. The DHS Program is a US Agency for International Development (USAID) funded project that supports the collection of demographic and health data through nationally representative population and facility-based surveys in low- and middle-income countries.
The Geospatial Data Scientist will primarily focus on the use of geospatial techniques to analyze demographic and health issues using DHS data. Tasks will include: managing the production of modeled surface datasets using model-based geostatistics (MBG), collaborating with other researchers to integrate geospatial data in their analysis, writing analytical reports for publication, writing code for data cleaning, debugging and testing existing code/tools for GPS processing and geostatistical model fitting, and contributing to the creation of spatial analysis outputs for use in program decision making, with a focus on the use of the data by survey countries.
The Geospatial Data Scientist will also be involved in other cross-cutting projects at ICF with a need for geostatistical analysis. The Geospatial Data Scientist will report directly to the Geospatial Research Manager and will work closely with the other members of the Geospatial team. This full-time position will be based in Rockville, MD (in the Washington, DC metro area), once it is safe to reopen offices due to COVID-19.
- Work with geospatial technologist, survey managers, data processing specialists, and in-country organizations in the validation and processing of GPS data
- Carry out quantitative analyses and provide guidance to project staff on how to integrate spatial analysis tools in analysis and project activities
- Create spatial analysis outputs for use in program decision-making in survey countries
- Develop and implement new computational and statistical methods to model health indicators
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the geospatial research agenda
- Communicate results of statistical analyses in technical reports/manuals and peer-reviewed publications.
- Document code and analytical approaches clearly for other users
- Provide geospatial-related technical contributions to new proposal development
- Master’s degree with 3 to 5 years of relevant experience in Epidemiology, Geospatial Information Science, Statistics, Public Health, or related field.
- Experience in managing and analyzing large datasets
- Experience in advanced spatial analytical techniques including interpolation and small area estimation
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience using R, Stata, or Python for statistical and geospatial analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge of ArcGIS 10.x or QGIS 3.x
- PhD in Epidemiology, Geospatial Information Science, Statistics, Public Health, or related
- Experience with raster data analysis and processing or other types of spatial analysis
- Knowledge of GIS applications as it relates to health and population data
- Experience with survey data; and handling geospatial data
- Experience in machine learning
- Experience documenting and sharing code (e.g., Git)
- Experience with low- and middle-income countries is a plus
- Ability to work independently and manage projects on a daily basis with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations
- Ability to work effectively with other project staff, USAID, other donors and international organizations
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, SharePoint)
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Rockville, MD (MD18)