Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Field Scientist-Air Sampling Specialist
Field Scientist / Air Sampling Specialist
We seek a Field Scientist professional to conduct audits of state and local ambient air monitoring stations who will be responsible for measurement of air pollution parameters including particulate matter (PM2.5), ozone, sulfur dioxide (SO2), nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and other related pollutants. The position is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, California.
The successful candidate will be part of a team of Chemists and Technicians that also provides laboratory analysis and other quality assurance support through EPA ESAT program, Region 9.
The successful candidate must have or be able to obtain authorization for access to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency networks/electronic and buildings (currently in Richmond, CA).
- Travel, including overnight travel, within EPA Region 9 (AZ, CA, HI and NV) is required. Travel requires extensive driving with provided vehicle which maybe oversized (van or large SUV – no commercial driver’s license is required). Travel is expected to be required as much as 50% of the time.
- Collect particulate matter filter samples and ship to laboratories for PM2.5 and lead (Pb) analysis.
- Utilize instrumentation to provide on-site analysis of air parameters including ozone, NO2, SO2, and other related pollutants
- Maintain, repair, and operate air sampling and analysis equipment.
- Coordinate with state and local air monitoring operators to schedule side-by-side testing to audit their operations
- Conduct sampling and analysis in strict accordance with required protocols.
- Prepare written reports using MS Word.
- Utilize MS Excel to present and analyze air data.
- Bachelor's degree in scientific discipline, or equivalent
- Have good driving record, valid driver’s license, and able to drive distances within Region 9
- Able to lift and carry 40 pounds, use ladders, and work comfortably at heights
- Able to pass annual field Health and Safety training and Medical Monitoring
- Must be authorized to work in the US
- MUST BE ABLE TO PASS an EPA background check to obtain access to US federal property.
- Experience in sampling and analyzing air for PM2.5, ozone, or other criteria air pollutants
- Current or previous EPA PM2.5 and/or through the probe (TTP) field scientist certifications or knowledge of EPA PEP, Pb-PEP, and NPAP/TTP programs
- Possession of OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification and current 8-hour refresher is desirable.
- Mechanical capabilities to operate and care for analytical instrumentation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and able to meet deadlines
- Experience working at DoD, EPA, or other Federal facilities
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
California Client Office (CA88)