Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Energy Storage Lead Engineer
Energy Storage Lead Engineer
ICF's Energy Advisory business is growing, and we seek experienced engineers and consultants to join our team in our Independent Engineering/Owner’s Engineering (IE/OE) line of business. Our work is focused on energy sector projects and encompasses all phases from concept development through the end of the project lifecycle. This includes technical advisory and due diligence for projects during development and financing, construction monitoring, performance testing, periodic operations and maintenance (O&M) and operating budget reviews, decommissioning, expert witness, and restructuring activities. Personnel within the Technical Advisory practice have experience in numerous technologies including; PV solar, wind, energy storage, biomass, waste-to-energy, biofuels, emerging process technologies, combined cycle and simple cycle plants, thermal technologies, distributed generation, energy storage, demand response, and other energy related technologies.
Our Technical Advisory team works collaboratively with our Power and Gas Market team, Environment and Planning team, and the greater ICF to provide comprehensive advisory services. Consultants at ICF integrate industry experience and advanced consulting and analytical skills. As an Energy Storage Lead Engineer, you will utilize your deep energy storage experience along with our IE/OE advisory services group and in broader power markets, proven track record of technical consulting or utility industry results, and skills engaging with client decision-makers at manager to senior executive levels.
Candidates may work remotely, or from one of ICF’s established office locations. Occasional travel is expected, depending on engagements and practice needs – up to 30% of the time provided COVID and corporate restrictions allow.
Positions require at least 3 years of battery energy storage engineering experience as well as in one or more of the following areas:
- Renewable Generation including Wind, Solar, and/or Biofuels
- Project Financing Due Diligence for Project Developers, Investors, and Financial Institutions
- Evaluation of Operating Generation Assets, including financial performance, O&M, and asset management
- Review of project commercial contracts and documents including interconnection agreements, power purchase agreements, and financial models
- Electric Utility and/or IPP Regulatory Filings, including Rate Matters
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction of Power Generation Facilities
You will contribute to the development of innovative, accurate, timely, and high quality products and services, potentially working with all levels of staff. You will have an opportunity to apply your experience and knowledge, lead and provide technical input to major projects, and interact with experts and clients in the field, while building content knowledge and consulting skills.
- Review technical aspects of related to energy storage, specifically battery storage - with a willingness to support the team on other technologies, as necessary
- Lead and contribute to internal and external training efforts about energy storage technologies and applications – existing and emerging
- Develop, maintain, and improve internal tools and databases related to technology, performance, and cost of energy storage technologies
- Write and review of due diligence reports for energy storage,
- Demonstrated ability to work within a close-knit, though geographically distributed, team environment comprised of multiple technical abilities and knowledge levels.
- Contributes to technical and cost proposal development.
- Support business development efforts including identifying, qualifying, and supporting the pursuit of both follow-on work and new business opportunities.
- Support business development efforts including client discussions as a technical expert, and marketing and thought leadership to external audiences
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, sciences, or physics
- 10+ years professional experience with at least 3 years experience in energy storage.
- Demonstrated understanding of current energy storage issues including: energy storage applications and use cases; energy storage component technology; integration of conventional or renewable generation with energy storage; and valuation of energy storage in various applications.
- Demonstrated experience delivering consulting solutions to utilities, IPP firms, electrical cooperatives, municipal power authorities and/or other stakeholders that utilize electrical generating technologies.
- 5+ years experience in energy storage technologies
- Master's in business or finance or related field.
- Experience in power system controls.
- Experience working effectively with technical and commercial business stakeholders, including strong facilitation skills.
- Consulting industry experience.
- Independent engineering / finance due diligence experience.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)