Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Distribution Planning Engineer (REMOTE)
We are a relentlessly client-focused group who are re-imagining, re-designing, and re-engineering the way electric utilities tackle industry problems. We are looking for passionate and innovative people who are constantly looking for ways to provide better quality engineering services for our clients.
The Ideal Candidate
You are a highly motivated engineer who takes pride in the services you provide. You love to go above and beyond to ensure the project is done right and all deadlines are met. You should be proactive, self-sufficient, and able to productively work remotely out of your home without supervision. You always strive to expand your knowledge and improve upon our work processes to increase quality and efficiency. You are an active member of the team that works well with others and keeps the groups’ goals at the top of your priority list. You enjoy taking on new responsibilities and learning new skill sets whenever needed.
This individual will be responsible for interfacing with other engineers in the preparation of computer-based models and performing power system studies on utility distribution systems and industrial/commercial electrical power systems, including: stability (steady state & dynamic), long/short range planning studies, short circuit, load flow, motor starting, power factor correction, and other related studies.The position requires an individual who has experience running load flow, report writing, and renewable energy interconnection studies. This person must be able to self-manage, with a strong conceptualization ability and strong interpersonal communication and organizational skills – including the capability to explain complex technical issues to decision-makers and project teams.
- Distribution System Planning
- Distribution System modeling, such as load flow, power factor correction, device loading, voltage control, and contingency analysis
- Renewable energy impact studies
- Renewable energy integration application processing
- Recommends solutions and best practices for standard and non-standard situations
- Perform detailed engineering analyses following standard methodology, criteria, and principles
- Actively seek out and encourage identification of new technologies and work practices to reduce operational costs and/or assist in the reduction of potential safety hazards
- Gather and distribute technology and market data to help evolve services, products, and documentation
- Provide technology selection, compatibility, and site design input for Request for Proposals (RFPs) and sales bids
- Research and understand on the most recent policies, guidelines and programs around renewable energy, grid digitalization and other related topics
- Other duties commensurate with assigned projects and the evolving role
- Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET certified college or university
- 1+ year of experience in electrical engineering system studies
- 1+ year of experience with proposal writing, report writing, and other technical writing
- 1+ year of experience with Cyme, Synergi, Windmil, or other equivalent distribution planning software packages
Desired or Preferred Skills
- EIT or PE registration (or equivalent)
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Ability to work successfully in a customer-focused, project-oriented environment
- Software knowledge including Cyme, Synergi, Windmil, ADMS, PSCAD, ETAP, AutoCAD
- Use of Python to automate functionality in power system modeling software
- Extensive experience with planning, studies, and operations such as generation and load hosting capacity analysis, contingency study or other relevant study types
- Experience with transmission modeling software (PSS/E, PSLF) running steady-state and dynamic analysis, short circuit, load flow, motor starting, interconnection and other related studies.
- Experience creating and/or maintaining engineering standards for distribution design and devices
Working at ICF
ICF is a global advisory and technology services provider, but we’re not your typical consultants. We combine unmatched expertise with cutting-edge technology to help clients solve their most complex challenges, navigate change, and shape the future. We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are committed to creating a culture where we embrace our differences in ideas and identities. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. Learn more about what we dohttps://www.icf.com/ and our commitment to inclusionhttps://www.icf.com/company/about/diversity-inclusion.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement.
Pay Range - There are multiple factors that are considered in determining final pay for a position, including, but not limited to, relevant work experience, skills, certifications and competencies that align to the specified role, geographic location, education and certifications as well as contract provisions regarding labor categories that are specific to the position. The pay range for this position is:
$68,325.00 - $116,152.00
Nationwide Remote Office (US99)