Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Deputy Survey Director (HERD)
ICF is seeking a Deputy Survey Director for a large, annual survey that tracks financial resources devoted to research in the higher education sector. ICF has conducted this survey since 1987.
For this project, ICF manages all survey design and data collection activities, including content and technical support to survey respondents. ICF also produces detailed data tables, technical summaries, methodology reports, and publicly available data files, and conducts ad hoc analysis of collected financial data and paradata. Annually, ICF conducts exploratory interviews with survey respondents to learn more about how they complete the survey and other methodological research.
Survey respondents typically work in the offices of financial affairs, sponsored programs, or institutional research at U.S. universities and colleges. The successful candidate will support the Survey Director by managing survey respondent support, training data reviewers and support staff, identifying improvements to survey processes, and consulting with survey methodologists at ICF and clients.
The position is full-time and based at ICF offices in Rockville, Maryland, when pandemic restrictions are lifted, OR can be full-time remote within with United States.
- Manage accurate and timely response to survey questions from universities and colleges.
- Train and manage teams of reviewers that examine submitted surveys and follow-up with respondents to clarify data.
- Consult with the client on investigations of special topics, such as funding sources, expenditure types, and institution business structures and recommend changes to the questionnaire or reporting policies. This may include participating in interviews and workshops with university and college representatives.
- Conduct annual and ad hoc analysis of research expenditure and recommend changes to questionnaire or data review procedures.
- Work with survey methodologists to design, test and implement new questions.
- Create requirements for data validations for programmers to include on the web survey.
- Write procedural documentation for use by the ICF team.
- Write methodology reports for public data users as well as analytical reports for NCSES.
- Serve as backup to Survey Director, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in quantitative discipline such as business administration, accounting, finance, data analytics, data science, or related field/discipline from an accredited university.
- 7 years of progressively responsible related work experience, including experience with large-scale survey management, financial and/or data analysis.
- 3+ years of experience managing the work of others, including experience training and providing quality reviews of work products.
- Proven experience training or mentoring others on complex topics.
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical documentation, or similar experience documenting policies, processes, and procedures in a user-friendly format.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, and best practices related to fiscal management, particularly in the areas of university sponsored research and federal regulations and reporting requirements is preferred
- 3+ years of experience working with complex data in a relational database environment and using business intelligence/analytics tools (e.g. SQL, SAS, R, Python, MicroStrategy, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau). Working knowledge of SAS preferred.
- Advanced level knowledge of all Microsoft Office technology tools especially word, excel and outlook.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Strong team player willing to work on a variety of tasks as both a leader and team member.
- Ability to take initiative and work well independently, researching topics as needed.
- Ability to work with all levels of internal staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, prioritize, and manage multiple activities simultaneously in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail, and ability to meet critical deadlines.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth. If you’re seeking to make a difference in the world, visit www.icf.com/careers to find your next career. ICF—together for tomorrow.
ICF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. (EOE – Minorities/Females/ Protected Veterans Status/Disability Status/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity). For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
Reasonable Accommodations are available for disabled veterans and applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Maryland Remote Office (MD99)