Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
Corporate Counsel - Commercial (OPEN TO REMOTE)
ICF’s mission is: To use our ingenuity, creativity, and diverse perspectives to solve our clients’ toughest challenges. Innovation, intellectual property, and strong commercial arrangements are critical to that mission and provide competitive advantages to ICF. You will work with a fantastic legal team in ICF’s Office of General Counsel (OGC), while having the satisfaction that your legal advice supports ICF’s fulfilling work to create a more prosperous and resilient world.
We seek an experienced, energetic, and business-minded lawyer to support all legal matters relating to ICF’s engagements with U.S. commercial clients and regulated-clients in the marketing and communications, advertising, technology, environment, and energy spaces. The successful candidate will possess excellent professional judgment and ideally have some demonstrated experience working in-house in the professional services industry. The candidate must be committed to building strong relationships and to collaborating with ICF business leaders.
This position will report to the Assistant General Counsel – Commercial Sector at ICF, while working directly with leaders within ICF’s commercial sector business lines and throughout the company. The role level will be Counsel or Senior Counsel depending on level of experience.
Major Duties and Responsibilities - Legal Operations
The successful candidate will be responsible for, among other things:
- All legal outcomes facing the assigned ICF businesses and developing pragmatic legal and business solutions.
- Providing strategic legal advice to ICF business and contracts professionals on client pitches, bids, and procurements, complex or challenging client engagements, client and subcontractor/vendor disputes, meeting client regulatory requirements, and helping to defend the company’s business and legal interests.
- Advising ICF’s internal Contracts, Subcontracts, Procurement, Human Resources, Finance, and other corporate teams in their review of client-related engagements, contracts, subcontracts, teaming arrangements, non-disclosure agreements, and marketing contracts (influencer, agency, and creative services), as well as other business arrangements in support of ICF’s commercial clients.
- Providing high-level employment law and restrictive covenant advice, as well as coordination of employment-related legal matters with employment counsel and ICF’s internal Human Resources team, as appropriate.
- Counseling on various marketing, communications, and promotional initiatives; and advising on compliance with marketing laws and best practices, relating to promotions, sweepstakes, contests, digital marketing, influencers, and social media advisory work.
- Advising on consumer protection issues including compliance with FTC and FCC, regulations, state consumer protection laws, TCPA, CAN SPAM, CCPA, and similar.
- Managing and working with other internal and external stakeholders to resolve disputes, demands, claims, and legal challenges that may arise within the businesses in the commercial sector.
- Assisting in the consideration and assessment of ICF’s roster of external counsel related to specific business or project requirements and intellectual property and technology-related legal matters.
- Staying current on assigned regulatory and legal issues affecting the company.
Other Important Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for either directly advising, or managing use of internal or external counsel, on other important areas which could include:
- In coordination with other internal and external counsel, managing the protection and development of ICF’s IP portfolio, including proactively identifying and developing IP and working closely with internal clients and outside counsel to prepare, register or file, and pursue protection for patents, copyrights and trademarks.
- Improving policies, procedures and/or processes related to the deployment of technology and technology-enabled services, and development, procurement, deployment, and protection of IP and other technology.
- Advising on inbound and outbound software and technology licensing.
- Occasionally assisting with potential cybersecurity and data breaches or incidents.
- Assisting in managing cross-border legal matters and providing legal and governance support to remote ICF offices.
- Supporting corporate transactional matters, including M&A due diligence and integration activities and coordinating corporate governance matters.
- Generally supporting the overall execution of the ICF Ethics and Compliance program, particularly in relation to complicated regulatory areas facing the commercial business.
Basic Qualifications and Education
- Minimum 4+ years of relevant legal experience, with a mixture of law firm and in-house experience preferred but not required
- Generalist legal experience and ability to quickly learn new legal issues.
- Experience and expertise in review, drafting and negotiation of complex commercial agreements, and guiding and working with in-house contracts and subcontracts professionals.
- Experience negotiating with regulated client entities or state and local government clients.
- Education and Licensure: JD from accredited law school of recognized standing, and individual must be admitted to practice law on behalf of ICF in an appropriate jurisdiction in the U.S.
- Demonstrated business counseling, communications, conflict management, and negotiation skills.
- Flexibility of style and willingness to engage and balance a wide variety of tasks as a member of multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage priorities, and to demonstrate initiative to improve the delivery of services to clients.
- Ability to facilitate and contribute to collaborative decision-making processes and work effectively on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage outside counsel for quality work product, value, and efficiency.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)