Be on Alert – Fraudulent Employment Offers. Learn More
ICF is a purpose driven company with a strong culture and underlying values that prize diversity, opportunity, equality, and respect. @ ICF Next, we are fearless in finding new ways to solve problems, relentless in making sure it pays off for our clients, and committed to making a positive change in the world. We’re changemakers, a community of mission driven creatives, communicators, strategists, and technologists.
ICF seeks a Communications Strategist with strong project management skills to join our team and lead a fast-paced strategic communications contract for a Federal Agency client. In addition to project leadership, this individual will play an important part in ensuring the highest quality for all deliverables. This is a great opportunity to project manage multiple task orders and join a team that is working on meaningful projects. This individual will have the opportunity to direct a variety of deliverables across multiple mediums. ICF delivers all the strategic communications and marketing services of a top-flight marketing agency, plus the expertise and resources of a leading international consulting firm. This is an exciting role offering excellent opportunities for dynamic work on some of the most pressing transportation issues facing Americans today.
Hybrid position – partially based in the Fairfax office (soon to be Reston), partially telework, and then would need to be available for onsite meetings in DC at DOT headquarters as needed.
As a Communications Strategist, you will:
- Serve as the primary client contact for USDOT transportation communications deliverables. This will include:
- Directing, planning, and creating effective communications across multiple communications touchpoints including media relations, digital media, social media, publications, speeches, technical and research documents, briefing materials, reports to Congress, press releases, special events and exhibits.
- Develop and implement communications strategies.
- Project manage all deliverables working with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Working collaboratively with USDOT employees to propose functional communications approaches, counsel leadership on strategies and tactics, and develop messaging.
- Develop and produce both public-facing and internal deliverables.
- Create and review all communication material, including overseeing or developing all copy and messaging intended for public consumption to ensure its alignment with the client’s strategic vision.
- Help manage client team and acts as liaison between USDOT professionals and ICF’s internal support teams (e.g., creative, paid media).
- Meet weekly with internal teams as a group and on an individual basis to help set short- and long-term goals that will enhance client services.
As a Communications Strategist, you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Advertising, or related majors. Master’s degree in Communications, Marketing, or related fields is a plus.
- At least 10 years of project management experience for a large-scale communications contract or agency.
- Communications/Marketing experience preferable in a government space.
- Directly applicable experience, preferably in a communications or PR agency setting.
- 1+ years experience working with a federal agency, such as the USDOT.
- Project leadership and management experience with federal large communications projects, including experience developing and managing budgets.
- Ability to recognize potential communications challenges and develop solutions based on best practices and research.
- Experience in developing/conducting project planning activities to include collecting requirements and defining scope, developing project plans and timelines, and determining resource requirements.
- Knowledge of federal transportation communications market/style etc.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with transportation preferred
- Superior verbal, written, organizational, and time management skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to think creatively (independently or in a group setting) and provide unique solutions and rationale for solutions to clients’ communications challenges/problems.
- Ability to quickly understand problems, synthesize large amounts of information, and provide succinct recommendations that tie back to overall account communication strategies and tactics.
- Ability to “connect the dots” across other tasks within the contract and see “big picture” opportunities for contract enhancements.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world's toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Fairfax, VA (VA01)